Relativity at cern - deflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for calculating the change in path of an electron passing through a field, its dependence on mass, velocity, field strength, and particle charge. The Lorentz-force equation and beam rigidity formula are mentioned as ways to calculate the force needed to keep the electron in a circular orbit and the rigidity of the beam. The accuracy of the shorthand formula for rigidity is also discussed. The conversation ends with a question about "pc units" and their relation to momentum.
RK1992
obviously an electron will change path when passing through a field

could anyone point me to an equation which suggests how much electrons change path by - i guess it depends on mass, velocity (maybe in the form of momentum for the relativistic case I am think of?), field strength and the charge of the particle

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
i just thought
could you approximate the LHC as circular motion, then use f=mv^2/r to calculate the force needed to give the particle a centrepetal acceleration? the using some sort of particle in field equation, calculate the field strength needed to provide the centrepetal force as momentum increases?

i just don't know where i can find an equation telling you how much force fields will apply to a particle, ca anyone help there?

Use the Lorentz-force equation:

F = q(v X B)

F is the centripital acceleration to keep the particle in a circular orbit. For v in the LHC, use c = 3 x 108 m/s.

Here are approx numbers. LHC circumference is ~26 Km. It takes ~ 9 Tesla (average) to keep a 7 TeV proton in orbit.

Bob S

Bob S said:
Use the Lorentz-force equation:

F = q(v X B)

F is the centripital acceleration to keep the particle in a circular orbit. For v in the LHC, use c = 3 x 108 m/s.

Here are approx numbers. LHC circumference is ~26 Km. It takes ~ 9 Tesla (average) to keep a 7 TeV proton in orbit.

Bob S

i'm not familiar with the cross product yet (im 17, starting further maths right now, and cross product is a few months away)... is v X B just constant times constant?

when you say "F is the centripital acceleration to keep the particle in a circular orbit.", do you mean i substitute in the expression f=mv^2/r ?

RK1992 said:
obviously an electron will change path when passing through a field

could anyone point me to an equation which suggests how much electrons change path by - i guess it depends on mass, velocity (maybe in the form of momentum for the relativistic case I am think of?), field strength and the charge of the particle

thanks in advance

The math is complicated, see https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1887

Last edited by a moderator:
starthaus said:
The math is complicated, see https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1887

eugh.. i think i should give up this project its way out of my league just yet :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a short-hand formula used by high energy accelerator physicists (βγ Mc2 = relativistic momentum in pc units):

Beam rigidity Bρ = βγ Mc2/c Tesla-meters, where ρ is bending radius.

Here ρ = 26,000m/2 pi = 4140 meters. B = [STRIKE]9[/STRIKE] 6.6 Tesla*, so Bρ = [STRIKE]37,300[/STRIKE] ~27,300 Tesla meters,

So βγ Mc2 = 3 x 108 x 27,300 T-m = ~8.1 TeV. Actual number is 7 TeV per beam.

* the bend magnet field at full energy is ~8.3 Tesla, and the magnets occupy ~ 80% of the ring, so the average field is ~6.6 Tesla.

Bob S

[added] From the LHC Design Report, the bend field is 8.33 Tesla, and the bend radius is 2804 meters, so cBρ = 7.00 TeV

See www.cern.ch/lhc Chapter 2 in Vol 1.

Last edited:
So beam rigidity is just the product of the bending radius and the field strength? Is this property just as it suggests - the rigidity of the beam being how hard the stream of particles is to curve into a circle?

how innaccurate is this short-hand in comparison with using the lorentz force law or whatever it is you need?

i can't see a volume 1 or chapter link on that page anywehrre :/

you guys here are great, youre so helpful.. pretty selfless to spend your time helping strangers you don't know prepare for physics degrees

RK1992 said:
So beam rigidity is just the product of the bending radius and the field strength? Is this property just as it suggests - the rigidity of the beam being how hard the stream of particles is to curve into a circle?
Yes and yes.
how innaccurate is this short-hand in comparison with using the lorentz force law or whatever it is you need?
The rigidity equation is exact for both relativistic and non-relativistic charged particles. See equation 2.6 in

See http://books.google.com/books?id=S8...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAg

Here p is the relativistic momentum, which for a particle of charge e and total energy E is sqrt[E2 - (m0c2)2]/c = βγ m0c
i can't see a volume 1 or chapter link on that page anywehrre :/
www.cern.ch/LHC
click on Design Report
click on Beam Parameters

Bob S

i just came up witha question: what on Earth are pc units?

RK1992 said:
i just came up with a question: what on Earth are pc units?
For relativistic particles with total energy E , E2 = (pc)2 +(mc2)2

where mc2 is the rest mass and pc is the momentum times the speed of light. So it is very easy to use the same units for momentum as for the rest mass and the total energy. The actual momentum p might be in GeV/c ("GeV per c") units, but using GeV for pc is easier.

As stated in a previous post, the particle rigidity is Bρ = (pc)/c = p Tesla-meters, which is in momentum (i.e., GeV/c) units.

Bob S

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and is considered one of the most important theories in modern physics.

2. What is CERN?

CERN stands for the European Organization for Nuclear Research and is an international research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. It is located in Geneva, Switzerland and is home to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's most powerful particle accelerator.

3. How does the LHC at CERN study relativity?

The LHC at CERN is used to accelerate particles to near the speed of light and then collide them together. This allows scientists to study the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and mass-energy equivalence, in extreme conditions. The results of these experiments help to further our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.

4. What is deflection in the context of relativity at CERN?

Deflection refers to the bending of particles as they travel through the magnetic fields in the LHC. This bending can be observed and measured to study the behavior of particles at high speeds and under the influence of strong magnetic fields, which is essential for understanding relativity.

5. How does the study of relativity at CERN impact our daily lives?

The study of relativity at CERN has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of medical imaging technologies like PET and MRI scanners. It has also helped to improve our understanding of the universe and how it works, leading to new discoveries and innovations in various fields of science and technology.