Relativity - Constant Acceleration

In summary: I don't know, head.In summary, the author is trying to find the parametric equations for x and t as functions of proper time, assuming at t=0 that x=0 and v=0. They assume that the acceleration is constant, and can find the following equation:x(\tau) = \frac{{\cos}h(a\tau)}{a} - \frac{1}{a}due to the initial conditions.
eep
Hi, I'm working out of Hartle's book Gravity and had a question about Ch. 5 problem 7. The problem states that a particle has constant acceleration along the x-axis, that is, the acceleration when measured in it's instantaneous rest frame is always the same constant. They want me to get the parametric equations for x and t as functions of proper time [itex]\tau[/itex], assuming at t=0 that x=0 and v=0.

I assumed that since the acceleration is constant, the three-force is also constant. I can then use

[tex]
\frac{dp}{dt} = F = ma
[/tex]

for some constant a. Since F is constant I can integrate once to get

[tex]
{\gamma}m\frac{dx}{dt} = mat
[/tex]

Or, solving for [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{at}{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}
[/tex]

Using the relationship [itex]{d\tau}^2 = dt^2 - dx^2[/itex] I can arrive at

[tex]
d\tau = dt\sqrt{(\frac{1}{1+a^2t^2})}
[/tex]

Integrating and solving for t and letting [itex]\tau[/itex] = 0 when t=0 I get

[tex]
t(\tau) = \frac{{\sin}h(a\tau)}{a}
[/tex]

I can then solve for x and get

[tex]
x(\tau) = \frac{{\cos}h(a\tau)}{a} - \frac{1}{a}
[/tex]

due to the initial conditions. Did I do this right?

EDIT: I really just need to know if my first couple steps are right, as everything follows from that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming d^2x/dt^2 = a, or d^2x/dtau^2 = a ? It doesn't look to me as if your solution satisfies either criterion. I have to go, but once I've thought about this problem a bit more I'll try to give me own ideas for a solution.

Neither.

[tex]
\frac{dp}{dt} = ma
[/tex]

but

[tex]
p = {\gamma}m\frac{dx}{dt}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
a = \frac{d({\gamma}\frac{dx}{dt})}{dt}
[/tex]

Well then I disagree with your interpretation of the problem.
[tex] \frac{d({\gamma}\frac{dx}{dt})}{dt} = \frac{d(\frac{dx}{d\tau})}{dt} [/tex]
which is the rate of change an external observer would measure in the velocity
of the particle as measured in it's rest frame. Doesn't seem like that's what they're asking. As you stated it would give the result if a constant force were applied to a particle; that's not the same as constant acceleration in it's rest frame.

My interpretation would be that[itex] \frac{d^2x}{d\tau} = a [/itex]
Working this out a bit:

[tex]
\frac{d^2\vec(x)}{d\tau^2} = \frac{d\vec(u)}{d\tau} =
\gamma \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} ( \gamma^3 \frac{dx}{dt}, 1 - \gamma^3 \frac{dx}{dt})
[/tex]
[tex]
a = \gamma \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} (1 - \gamma^3 \frac{dx}{dt})
[/tex]

I haven't worked it any further than that. Hartle covers 4-acceleration in that chapter, right? I know it was in that book; I wish I had it handy though.

Last edited:
How can F = ma work for an non-inertial frame? :confused:

If

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{d{\tau}^2} = a[/tex]

then...

[tex]\frac{dx}{d\tau} = a\tau[/tex]

and

[tex]x(\tau) = \frac{1}{2}a\tau^2[/tex]

due to initial conditions, no? 4-vectors are covered in the chapter...

Yeah, that seems all correct to me. And from the normalization condition you can find [itex] \frac{dt}{d\tau} [/itex], and integrate. In fact, it's the same as what you had above.

I know it seems wrong, because [itex] \frac{dx}{d\tau} [/itex] should go 1 and not infinity, but this isn't a physical situation. The more physical case would've been what you had above, with a constant three force, and in that case the limits check out.

I think that's what was confusing me, I had arrived at this answer before but thought I did something wrong since the limit approaches infinity! Let me make sure I'm understanding the notation right,

[itex]\frac{dx}{d\tau}[/itex] is the velocity of the particle as measured in it's "rest frame", correct? That confuses me as I always think of the rest frame as having no velocity, as the coordinate system is attached to the particle. [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] would be the velocity measured by some other inertial frame, and depends on the relationship between [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]\tau[/itex]. I'm self-teaching myself out of this book so I'm never quite sure if I'm understanding things correctly.

I misspoke before. Define

[tex] x' = x - vt [/tex]
[itex] \frac{dx'}{d\tau} [/itex] is the velocity of the particle as measured in its rest frame, and will always be 0 by definition.
[itex] \frac{dx}{d\tau} [/itex] is the velocity at which the particle would see the origin moving away, which I think is the proper way to work this problem.

I'm starting to re-think my solution. It doesn't bother me that
[itex] \frac{dx}{d\tau} [/itex] goes to infinity as tau does, because tau will be bound by t due to time dilation effects. I worked it out, and

[tex] \frac{dt}{d\tau} = \sqrt{ 1 + (a\tau)^2} \rightarrow
t(\tau) = (\tau / 2) \sqrt{1 + (a\tau)^2} + (1/2a)log( (a\tau) + \sqrt{1 + (a\tau)^2})
[/tex]
[tex]
\lim_{\tau\rightarrow\infty} t(\tau) = \sqrt{(2t/a)}
[/tex]
This gives

[tex]
\lim_{\tau \rightarrow \infty} x(t) = t \rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt} = 1
[/tex]
as it should be.

I'd still feel a bit iffy handing this in, but I can rationalize it in my mind.

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationships between space and time, as well as the effects of gravity on these concepts. It is divided into two parts: the special theory of relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and the general theory of relativity, which deals with objects that are accelerating or in the presence of a gravitational field.

2. What is constant acceleration in relativity?

Constant acceleration in relativity refers to the consistent increase in the velocity of an object over time. This is different from constant speed, which refers to an object maintaining the same velocity over time. In relativity, constant acceleration is important because it allows us to understand the effects of acceleration on the passage of time.

3. How does constant acceleration affect time dilation?

According to the theory of relativity, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light or is experiencing a constant acceleration. This means that time will pass more slowly for an object that is accelerating, compared to an object that is at rest. The greater the acceleration, the more pronounced the time dilation effect will be.

4. Can constant acceleration lead to time travel?

No, constant acceleration cannot lead to time travel. While time dilation may occur as a result of constant acceleration, it does not allow for time travel. In order to travel through time, one would need to manipulate the fabric of space-time, which is not possible according to our current understanding of physics.

5. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has allowed us to explain phenomena such as time dilation and the bending of light in the presence of massive objects. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on the precise calculations of time and space based on the principles of relativity. The theory of relativity has also opened up new avenues of research and exploration in the field of physics.