Relativity: Exploring dX and dY in Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the symbol "d" in mathematics, specifically in relation to calculus and derivatives. The term "infinitesimal" is suggested as a possible translation, but it is noted that "d" does not have a separate meaning and is instead used to represent small changes in a function. The terms "derivative" and "differential" are also mentioned in relation to the symbol "d". The conversation also briefly touches on the use of derivatives in physics, specifically in the context of special relativity.
Mark44 said:
No, not almost zero. ##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h)## IS zero.
I'm sorry Mark44.
if ##lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h)## is zero, how can
Mark44 said:
##lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(h)}{h} = 1##
I think ##lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h) = h##. and also tan(h) = h :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
I'm sorry Mark44.
if ##lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h)## is zero, how can
Mark44 said:
##lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(h)}{h} = 1##
As I said in a previous post, this limit is proved in many calculus textbooks.
Stephanus said:
No, both of these are wrong. After you take a limit involving h, h will not appear in the result.
What is true is that for small h, ##\sin(h) \approx h## and ##\tan(h) \approx h##, but both limits you showed above are zero.
##lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h) = 0##
and ##lim_{h \to 0} \tan(h) = 0## as well.

Before attempting to study advanced physics topics, you should get a calculus textbook and study it, or study it in an online course..

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:

This makes no sense since on the left side, ##h## is a dummy variable, while on the right it appears to be a real number.

Stephanus said:
Of course in 'math', the gradient for vertical length is undefined, but in SR a vertical line as you know, is a rest frame.
While in SR, the horizontal line is undefined, velocity is instant, but in 'math' a horizontal line is Y = n, the gradient is zero.

You probably don't want to use the word gradient here...

Likes Stephanus
micromass said:
You probably don't want to use the word gradient here...

To be more explicit:

In English-language math terminology, "gradient" is a concept from multivariable (vector) calculus, usually in three dimensions.

When we refer to the inclination of a line on a two-dimensional graph, e.g. a spacetime diagram for x and t in SR, we use the word "slope."

Likes Dr. Courtney and Stephanus
jtbell said:
To be more explicit:

In English-language math terminology, "gradient" is a concept from multivariable (vector) calculus, usually in three dimensions.

When we refer to the inclination of a line on a two-dimensional graph, e.g. a spacetime diagram for x and t in SR, we use the word "slope."
Yeah, I"m an Indonesian and in high school time, we used the word "gradien", no "t" there :smile:
But that was 30 years ago. I don't know what the word now.
And in space time diagram for an accelerated world line, this "slope" is the velocity at that particular time?
Can I ask here.
In ##Y = 4X + n##, the "slope" is "4"? Please confirm, so I can understand the explanations in SR Forum.
Thanks.

Stephanus said:
And in space time diagram for an accelerated world line, this "slope" is the velocity at that particular time?

This is sneaky... :-p

In classical (non-relativistic) physics we always draw these diagrams with t on the horizontal axis and x on the vertical axis. The slope is dx/dt which is indeed the velocity, v.

However, in relativistic physics, we customarily draw spacetime diagrams the other way around: x on the horizontal axis and t on the vertical axis. The slope is dt/dx which is the reciprocal of the velocity, 1/v. I don't remember why people started doing it this way. Someone in the relativity forum probably knows.

Likes Stephanus