Relativity : Muons traveling Qns

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of muons in a storage ring and their expected number of trips around the ring before they decay. Using the equations L = L_0/\gamma and \Delta T = \gamma \Delta T_0, the expected number of trips around the ring is calculated to be 6.06 times. In the frame of muons, the distance traveled is length contracted and the number of trips calculated to be 0.20996, showing an apparent contradiction. However, this is explained by time dilation, where the muons can cover more distance and have more trips around the ring due to the increase in time.
Delzac

Homework Statement

Muons move in circular orbits at a speed of 0.9994c in a storage ring which has a radius of 500m. How many trips around the storage ring do we expect the muons to make before they decay? How many trips around the storage ring do the muons think they have made? Are there any contradictions?
[ The question didn't give the by what time will muons decay, so i did a little search and took 2.2*10^-6 sec as the time before the decay.)

Homework Equations

[tex]L = L_0/\gamma[/tex]
[tex]\Delta T = \gamma \Delta T_0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) v = 0.9994c, r=500m, C=2*pi*500=1000*pi, [tex]\Delta T_0 = 2.2*10^-6[/tex]

Therefore using [tex]\Delta T = \gamma \Delta T_0[/tex],
[tex]\Delta T = 6.35*10^-5[/tex]
Distance moved = (0.9994)(3.0*10^8)(6.35*10^-5)=19,038.57m
Trips around storage ring = 19,038.57/1000pi = 6.06 times.

(ii)
Distance moved in the frame of muons = 0.9994c*2.2*10^-6 = 659.604
Trips around the ring as in frame of muons = 659.604/1000pi = 0.20996

(iii)
There are not contradiction since in the frame of muon, the ring or the distance traveled by it has been length contracted. Therefore, the muon actually traveled more than it seem to have traveled.

In the frame of an observer however the muon although should decay in 2.2micro seconds didn't due to time dilation. Thus with this apparent increase in time, the muon can cover more distance and hence have more trips around the rings.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone check my answer for part i ii and iii. I believe i got i and ii correct. But most importantly is my explanation in iii in anyway wrong or unclear or lacking?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ermm...any help?

ThanksYour calculations for part (i) and (ii) look correct. However, for part (iii), your explanation is a bit unclear. Here are some suggestions for improvement:

- Start by restating the question in your own words. For example, you could say something like "The question asks us to consider the number of trips around the storage ring that muons make before they decay, and how this is affected by the principles of relativity."
- Then, explain the key concept of time dilation. You could say something like "According to the theory of relativity, time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. This means that the time experienced by the muons, who are moving at a very high speed, is different from the time experienced by an observer who is stationary relative to the storage ring."
- Next, explain how this affects the number of trips around the storage ring. You could say something like "Due to time dilation, the muons experience time passing more slowly than the observer. This means that while the observer sees the muons making 6.06 trips around the ring, the muons themselves think they have only made 0.20996 trips."
- Finally, conclude by addressing the question of contradictions. You could say something like "This may seem contradictory, as the muons appear to have made both more and less trips around the ring. However, this is simply a result of the differences in how time is perceived by the muons and the observer, and is consistent with the principles of relativity."

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. What are muons and how are they related to relativity?

Muons are subatomic particles that are created when cosmic rays from outer space collide with particles in Earth's atmosphere. They have a short lifespan of only 2.2 microseconds, but due to their high speed, time dilation effects predicted by relativity allow them to travel farther and live longer than expected.

3. How does the theory of relativity explain the phenomenon of muons traveling at near-light speeds?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down for that object. This means that the muons traveling at near-light speeds experience time dilation, allowing them to live longer and travel farther distances than they would at rest.

4. What evidence supports the theory of relativity and its predictions about muons?

There have been numerous experiments conducted that support the theory of relativity and its predictions about muons. One notable experiment is the Hafele-Keating experiment, which used atomic clocks to demonstrate the effects of time dilation. Additionally, the observation of cosmic rays and the detection of muons at ground level also provide evidence for the time dilation effects predicted by relativity.

5. What practical applications does the theory of relativity and its predictions about muons have?

The theory of relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology and nuclear energy. The time dilation effects predicted by relativity are also used in particle accelerators to study subatomic particles. Additionally, the study of muons has led to advancements in space travel and the understanding of cosmic rays.