1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity: position/acceleration 4-vectors to newton's laws

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the binomial expansions for sinh and cosh, so that the acceleration and position 4-vectors reduce to x=1/2 a t^2 for small t.

2. Relevant equations

Okay, so we have cosh (x) = 1 + x^2/2 + ..... and
    sinh(x) = x + x^3/3 ......

We have the position (sigma) 4-vector = (B*sinh(k*tau): B*(cosh(k*tau) -1) and
    the acceleration (alpha) 4-vector = (-B*k^2*sinh(k*tau): -B*k^2*(cosh(k*tau))

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume k*tau << 1 and lets ignore higher order terms above x^2.

so, cosh(k*tau) = 1+ 1/2 (k*tau)^2 and sinh(k*tau) = k*tau

So, know I'm somewhat stumped. What are we setting equal to what? What is the small in both of these equations? t? or tau?

I know that the first term in the position 4-vector is c*t. So I could say:

B*k*tau = ct. And the last term in the acceleration 4-vector (alpha) is a. So I could say

-B*k^2*(1 + (k*tau)^2/2) = a. But that gets me nowhere.

Anyone got a thought? What's the direction here?

I read in another thread that we should try to understand the physical meaning of the first term of the acceleration or velocity 4-vectors. It doesn't have a clear explanation. It just sort of "is". Right?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?