Solving Relativity Problem: Prove c^2τ1τ2 is ∆s^2

• Thread starter SHawking01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the invariant interval between an inertial observer's origin and an arbitrary event.
SHawking01

Homework Statement

An inertial observer O bounces a radar signal off an arbitrary event P. If the signal is emitted and received by O at times τ1 and τ2 respectively, as indicated by O’s clock, prove that the squared interval ∆s 2 between O’s origin event (i.e., its spatial origin at time τ = 0) and P is c 2 τ1τ2.

Homework Equations

∆s^2=ct^2-|r|^2

The Attempt at a Solution

u'=γ(u1-βu4)?? I am not even sure if I need to do a Lorentz transformation. Please give me some direction!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. I assume your solution is supposed to read: c2τ1τ2...
So:
What is the distance between O and P?
At what time on the clock does the signal reach P?

Sorry, I am not the smartest. We have to use the Lorentz transformation to find that, right?

Stephen Hawking said:
Sorry, I am not the smartest.
Well then, you are not living up to your log-on name now are you? :D

No: you're looking at everything from O's perspective, and O is not moving so try to see this without thinking about relativity.
- You start the clock at 0;
- At τ1 you send a radar signal (what does that tell you about the speed of your signal?);
- At τ2 the signal is back to you after having bounced from P.
So now: at what time did the signal get to P? How far did it travel from you?

Is it (τ1+τ2)/2?

If that's the answer to the first question: yes. Do you see why? (The trip to P takes (τ2–τ1)/2 but the clock started at 0 so you have to add τ1.)
Now what's the speed of your signal? How far is P, then?

r=c(τ2-τ1)/2

Yep. Now the first answer was your Δτ, the second your Δr. So what's the invariant interval?

∆s^2=c∆t^2-|∆r|^2 (this is the invariant interval right?)

Yes. Don't forget to square c as well...

Okay, well I think I have it from here. Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of solving the relativity problem?

The purpose of solving the relativity problem is to understand the relationship between time, space, and the speed of light in a specific scenario. In this case, we are trying to prove the equation c^2τ1τ2 is equal to ∆s^2, which represents the spacetime interval.

2. What does c^2τ1τ2 represent in the equation?

c^2τ1τ2 represents the product of two time intervals (τ1 and τ2) multiplied by the square of the speed of light (c^2). This equation is derived from the spacetime interval equation, which takes into account the effects of relativity on time and space.

3. How is the speed of light related to the relativity problem?

The speed of light (c) plays a crucial role in the relativity problem as it is the maximum speed at which all objects and information can travel in the universe. The equation c^2τ1τ2 represents the time dilation and length contraction effects caused by an object moving at high speeds relative to an observer.

4. What does ∆s^2 represent in the equation?

∆s^2 represents the spacetime interval, which is a physical quantity that remains the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It is a combination of both time and space components and is used to measure the distance between two events in spacetime.

5. How does the equation c^2τ1τ2 prove the relativity problem?

The equation c^2τ1τ2 is derived from the spacetime interval equation, which is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. By proving this equation, we are essentially showing that the effects of relativity on time and space are consistent and can be mathematically represented. This helps us better understand the nature of spacetime and the relationship between time, space, and the speed of light.