Remainder Estimate for Integral Test

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the error involved in the improved approximation of a series using the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test. The series in question is \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{{n}^{1.01}}. The conversation also mentions the Laurent series expansion and the Euler's constant. Additionally, it is noted that the previous work has several errors and the correct method involves approximating s with s_1 and using estimates for R_1. The conversation also provides a helpful link to notes on the Integral Test.
Pull and Twist
I'm working on the following problem and I have made it this far... am I on the correct path or am I doing this incorrectly?? I find series extremely confusing. Also... how do I find the error involved in the improved approximation?

This is the series I am working with: \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{{n}^{1.01}}\)

View attachment 4249

Attachments

• mathproblem.jpg
    mathproblem.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
PullandTwist said:
I'm working on the following problem and I have made it this far... am I on the correct path or am I doing this incorrectly?? I find series extremely confusing. Also... how do I find the error involved in the improved approximation?

This is the series I am working with: \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{{n}^{1.01}}\)

Take into account the Laurent series expansion discovered by the Dutch mathematician Thomas Joannes Stieltjes in the XIX century...

$\displaystyle \zeta (s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{s}} = \frac{1}{s-1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!} (s - 1)^{n},\ |s|>1\ (1) $

It is clear that if s is close to 1 the first term will be dominant, so that $\displaystyle \zeta (1.01) \sim 100$ ... if You want to take into account the term of order 0, the coefficient $\gamma_{0}$ in (1) is known as the Euler's constant $\gamma = .57721566...$ so that is $\displaystyle \zeta (1.01) \sim 100. 57721566... $

... it is clear that also adding other terms the result will not deviate too much...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Take into account the Laurent series expansion discovered by the Dutch mathematician Thomas Joannes Stieltjes in the XIX century...

$\displaystyle \zeta (s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{s}} = \frac{1}{s-1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!} (s - 1)^{n},\ |s|>1\ (1) $

It is clear that if s is close to 1 the first term will be dominant, so that $\displaystyle \zeta (1.01) \sim 100$ ... if You want to take into account the term of order 0, the coefficient $\gamma_{0}$ in (1) is known as the Euler's constant $\gamma = .57721566...$ so that is $\displaystyle \zeta (1.01) \sim 100. 57721566... $

... it is clear that also adding other terms the result will not deviate too much...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I have never learned about the Laurent series expansion... I'm supposed to be using the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test... I am assuming that I am not using it correctly since I am not getting the same answer.

PullandTwist said:

Hi PullandTwist,

There are many errors in your work. While you can approximate $s$ using $\int_1^\infty dx/x^{1.01}$, it is not the case that $s = \int_1^\infty dx/x^{1.01}$, which is what your work shows on the left side of the paper. The main point though is that it has nothing to do with the problem; you should remove it. In the problem, you must approximate $s$ with $s_1$ (which you did -- you have $s_1 = 1$) and then use the estimates for $R_1$ to give the error of approximation (it should be fine to give the order of magnitude of $R_1$). In your analysis, you gave an approximation of $s$ of about $75.827$. This should be a red flag, because the checkpoint was $s \approx 100.65$. Knowing that $\int_{n+1}^\infty x^{-1.01}\, dx \le R_n \le \int_n^\infty x^{-1.01}\, dx$, after computing the integrals we obtain $100 (n+1)^{-0.01} \le R_n \le 100n^{-0.01}$. Substituting $n = 1$, we get $100(0.5)^{-0.01} \le R_1 \le 100$. What does this tell you about the order of magnitude of $R_1$?

PullandTwist said:
I have never learned about the Laurent series expansion... I'm supposed to be using the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test... I am assuming that I am not using it correctly since I am not getting the same answer.

... what You can obtain from integral test is...

$\displaystyle |R_{n}| \le \int_{n}^{n+1} x^{-1.01}\ d x = \frac {100}{99}\ \{ (n+1)^{\frac{99}{100}} -n^{\frac{99}{100}}\}\ (1) $

... so that if $s_{0}=100$ You have $|R_{1}|\le .996...,\ |R_{2}| \le .9909..., |R_{3}|\le .9875...$ and so on...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

PullandTwist said:

You may find these notes helpful – see the section headed Integral Test.

The setting is as follows. Suppose that $f(x)$ is a positive, decreasing function defined for $x>0$ and let $a_n = f(n).$ Let \(\displaystyle s = \sum_{j=1}^\infty a_j\) and let \(\displaystyle s_n = \sum_{j=1}^n a_j.\) So $s$ denotes the sum of the whole series, and $s_n$ is the sum of the first $n$ terms. Finally, let $R_n = s-s_n$ be the remainder after summing the first $n$ terms. Then it is shown in the above link that $R_n$ lies between \(\displaystyle \int_n^\infty \!\!\!f(x)\,dx\) and \(\displaystyle \int_{n+1}^\infty \!\!\!f(x)\,dx.\) It suggests that a good estimate for $s$ would be to approximate $R_n$ by the midpoint of those two bounds. In other words, you should use \(\displaystyle \frac12\biggl(\int_n^\infty \!\!\!f(x)\,dx + \int_{n+1}^\infty f(x)\,dx\biggr)\) as an approximation for $R_n$, getting $$s \approx s_n + \frac12\biggl(\int_n^\infty \!\!\!f(x)\,dx + \int_{n+1}^\infty f(x)\,dx\biggr).$$ In your problem, you should take $f(x) = \dfrac1{x^{1.01}}$ and $n=1$. Then $s_1 = 1$ and $$s \approx 1 + \frac12\biggl(\int_1^\infty \frac1{x^{1.01}}\,dx + \int_2^\infty \frac1{x^{1.01}}\,dx\biggr).$$ If you do that and evaluate the integrals correctly, you should find that $s\approx 100.65$, as the question suggests.

Related to Remainder Estimate for Integral Test

What is the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test?

The Remainder Estimate for Integral Test is a method used in calculus to estimate the error in approximating a definite integral using the integral test. It helps to determine how close the approximation is to the actual value of the integral.

How is the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test calculated?

The Remainder Estimate for Integral Test is calculated using the formula R_n = I - S_n, where R_n is the remainder, I is the actual value of the integral, and S_n is the approximation of the integral using the integral test.

When is the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test used?

The Remainder Estimate for Integral Test is typically used when the convergence of a series cannot be determined using other methods, such as the ratio or root test. It is also useful in finding the accuracy of a series approximation.

What are the assumptions for using the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test?

The Remainder Estimate for Integral Test assumes that the function being integrated is continuous, positive, and decreasing. It also assumes that the series being tested has non-negative terms and is decreasing.

How accurate is the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test?

The accuracy of the Remainder Estimate for Integral Test depends on the number of terms used in the approximation. The more terms used, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of the integral. However, it is important to note that this method only provides an estimate and not the exact value of the integral.