Remote Desktop Connection between PCs -- Must they both be in the same Subnet?

In summary, you are trying to connect to a remote server using RDP but you are having problems because your SQL Server is connected through a named pipe. You should try connecting from another machine on the LAN or using port forwarding.
@pbuk : Sorry for the delay. Here are the server properties of my instance: Upper half of default connection settings re allowing named pipes to use ODBC:

1579557085498.png

1579557180635.png

Computer science news on Phys.org
Remember the error came about when I was trying to access my instance through sqlcmd in the command line. I just need, for my interview, to know how to access SQL Server without using SSMS, so I may also give Pyodbc a shot, so don't worry of you're too busy; you have helped me plenty as it is.

EDIT: Error message when trying to use sqlcmd to connect:

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server : Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]. .
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server : Login timeout expired.
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server : A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online..

WWGD said:
Remember the error came about when I was trying to access my instance through sqlcmd in the command line. I just need, for my interview, to know how to access SQL Server without using SSMS, so I may also give Pyodbc a shot, so don't worry of you're too busy; you have helped me plenty as it is.
pyodbc is not going to help, the problem the error messages are telling you is that that the ODBC driver cannot connect to SQL Server so pyodbc -> ODBC -> SQL Server will have exactly the same problem as sqlcmd -> ODBC -> SQL Server.

I think the fundamental problem is that you are exposing yourself to a lot of stuff you don't need to know how to do - set up and mangage connections to a MS SQL Server instance. And the deeper you go, the deeper you are getting into unrelated stuff like network protocols. It's like building an aeroplane yourself from a set of blueprints when what you really want to do is learn to fly!

A last stab in the dark, I'm not convinced that your server is exposing a named pipes connection, have you tried just connecting to the server DESKTOP-QH...\PYTHONRSQLSERVER, or possibly just DESKTOP-QH..., or possibly with the default SQL Server port number DESKTOP-QH...,1466

Likes WWGD
pbuk said:
pyodbc is not going to help, the problem the error messages are telling you is that that the ODBC driver cannot connect to SQL Server so pyodbc -> ODBC -> SQL Server will have exactly the same problem as sqlcmd -> ODBC -> SQL Server.

I think the fundamental problem is that you are exposing yourself to a lot of stuff you don't need to know how to do - set up and mangage connections to a MS SQL Server instance. And the deeper you go, the deeper you are getting into unrelated stuff like network protocols. It's like building an aeroplane yourself from a set of blueprints when what you really want to do is learn to fly!

A last stab in the dark, I'm not convinced that your server is exposing a named pipes connection, have you tried just connecting to the server DESKTOP-QH...\PYTHONRSQLSERVER, or possibly just DESKTOP-QH..., or possibly with the default SQL Server port number DESKTOP-QH...,1466
Thanks, I can connect through SSMS and have done queries, etc, but I am trying to connect from outside of SSMS and, of course, learn whatever possible. EDIT: As part of a list of reqs given for a Data job.

WWGD said:
Thanks, I can connect through SSMS and have done queries, etc, but I am trying to connect from outside of SSMS and, of course, learn whatever possible.
Yes but SSMS does not use ODBC so to get ODBC working you need to tell the ODBC Driver to connect to the same connection as SSMS is using, which is the one at the bottom of the window and it doesn't seem to be a named pipe.

Likes WWGD