Renormalization in Two Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses references for the scalar field theory in one-space, one-time dimension and its Lagrangian density. It also explores the concept of renormalization in two dimensions and the removal of divergences through renormalization. Part a) asks for an explanation of why the only divergences arise from closed loops that start and end on the same vertex, while part b) works out the renormalization associated with the ##\phi^6## interaction. Part c) involves checking the result by computing the derivatives of the coupling constants with respect to the renormalization scale and showing that they are finite. Part d) asks for a check of the book by Brown.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am looking for references for the scalar field theory in one-space, one-time dimension defined by:

$$\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}m_{2,0}^2\phi^2-\frac{1}{4!}m_{4,0}^2\phi^4-\frac{1}{6!}m_{6,0}^2\phi^6$$

That explains why the only divergences arise from closed loops which start and end on the same vertex.
And basically does renormalization in two dimensions on this Lagrangian density.

The full question is from Brown's textbook on QFT, on page 277 question 2.
I'll type it here:

The Lagrangian is the above one, for scalar field theory in one-space, one-time dimension.

a) Explain why the only divergences arise from closed loops which start and end on the same vertex.
In working out this problem be sure to draw graphs to explain what you are doing.

b) First work out the renormalization associated with the ##\phi^6## interaction.
Suppose four external lines or four lines from other vertices or some combination of external lines and lines from other vertices are connected to this interaction.
They can do so in ##6!/2!## ways. The remaining ##\phi^2## can form a single loop.
This gives a divergent term ##\frac{1}{2}m_{6,0}^2<\phi(0)^2>##.
Continue to $n$ dimensions and write: ##m_{6,0}^2=m_6^2\mu^{4-2n}##, where ##m_6## is a finite six-leg coupling constant with the dimensions of mass.
Why is ##m_6## finite?
Show that:$$<\phi(0)^2>=m^{n-2}\frac{\Gamma(1-n/2)}{(4\pi)^{n/2}},$$
where $m$ is the mass used for the propagator. We shall see that the particular value of this mass is irrelevant.
Thus the divergent term is given by $$-\frac{1}{2}m_6^2\mu^{2-n}\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{1-n/2},$$
and this divergence is removed by the renormalization: $$m_{4,0}^2=\mu^{2-n}\bigg[m_4^2+\frac{m_6^2}{4\pi}\frac{1}{n-2}\bigg].$$
Suppose now that two "external" lines are connected to the ##\phi^6## vertex.
They can do so in ##6\cdot 5## ways.
The remaining ##\phi^4## can form two closed loops.
This gives a divergent term $$-\frac{1}{4!}m_{6,0}^23<\phi(0)^2>^2.$$
But the two external lines can also connect to the ##\phi^4## interaction in ##4\cdot 3## ways and the remaining ##\phi^2## can form a closed loop.
This gives a divergent term:$$-\frac{1}{2}m_{4,0}^2<\phi(0)^2>.$$
Show that the divergences are removed by by the renormalization $$m_{2,0}^2=m_2^2+\frac{m_4^2}{4\pi}\frac{1}{n-2}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{m_6^2}{(4\pi)^2}\frac{1}{(n-2)^2}.$$
Note that this is independent of ##m## as advertised; there are no terms of the form ##\log (m/\mu) \frac{1}{n-2}##.
Note also the triangular counter term structure.

c) Check this result by computing $$\mu dm_6^2/d\mu , \mu dm_4^2/d\mu , \mu dm_2^2/d\mu$$
and showing that they are finite.

d) check the book by Brown.

I can only do part c) of this question.
We have from part b) that ##m_6^2\propto \mu^{2n-4}## so ##\mu dm_6^2/d\mu \propto \mu^{2n-4}=O(1)## so this is finite since we take $n=2$ since we have two dimensions case here.
##m_4^2 \propto \mu^{n-2}## so ##\mu dm_4^2/d\mu \propto \mu^{n-2} = O(1)##.

Assuming I answered correctly item c), how to answer the other items here?
I am not sure I answered it correctly, though.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:

Homework Statement

I am looking for references for the scalar field theory in one-space, one-time dimension defined by:

$$\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}m_{2,0}^2\phi^2-\frac{1}{4!}m_{4,0}^2\phi^4-\frac{1}{6!}m_{6,0}^2\phi^6$$

That explains why the only divergences arise from closed loops which start and end on the same vertex.
And basically does renormalization in two dimensions on this Lagrangian density.

The full question is from Brown's textbook on QFT, on page 277 question 2.
I'll type it here:

The Lagrangian is the above one, for scalar field theory in one-space, one-time dimension.

a) Explain why the only divergences arise from closed loops which start and end on the same vertex.
In working out this problem be sure to draw graphs to explain what you are doing.

b) First work out the renormalization associated with the ##\phi^6## interaction.
Suppose four external lines or four lines from other vertices or some combination of external lines and lines from other vertices are connected to this interaction.
They can do so in ##6!/2!## ways. The remaining ##\phi^2## can form a single loop.
This gives a divergent term ##\frac{1}{2}m_{6,0}^2<\phi(0)^2>##.
Continue to $n$ dimensions and write: ##m_{6,0}^2=m_6^2\mu^{4-2n}##, where ##m_6## is a finite six-leg coupling constant with the dimensions of mass.
Why is ##m_6## finite?
Show that:$$<\phi(0)^2>=m^{n-2}\frac{\Gamma(1-n/2)}{(4\pi)^{n/2}},$$
where $m$ is the mass used for the propagator. We shall see that the particular value of this mass is irrelevant.
Thus the divergent term is given by $$-\frac{1}{2}m_6^2\mu^{2-n}\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{1}{1-n/2},$$
and this divergence is removed by the renormalization: $$m_{4,0}^2=\mu^{2-n}\bigg[m_4^2+\frac{m_6^2}{4\pi}\frac{1}{n-2}\bigg].$$
Suppose now that two "external" lines are connected to the ##\phi^6## vertex.
They can do so in ##6\cdot 5## ways.
The remaining ##\phi^4## can form two closed loops.
This gives a divergent term $$-\frac{1}{4!}m_{6,0}^23<\phi(0)^2>^2.$$
But the two external lines can also connect to the ##\phi^4## interaction in ##4\cdot 3## ways and the remaining ##\phi^2## can form a closed loop.
This gives a divergent term:$$-\frac{1}{2}m_{4,0}^2<\phi(0)^2>.$$
Show that the divergences are removed by by the renormalization $$m_{2,0}^2=m_2^2+\frac{m_4^2}{4\pi}\frac{1}{n-2}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{m_6^2}{(4\pi)^2}\frac{1}{(n-2)^2}.$$
Note that this is independent of ##m## as advertised; there are no terms of the form ##\log (m/\mu) \frac{1}{n-2}##.
Note also the triangular counter term structure.

c) Check this result by computing $$\mu dm_6^2/d\mu , \mu dm_4^2/d\mu , \mu dm_2^2/d\mu$$
and showing that they are finite.

d) check the book by Brown.

I can only do part c) of this question.
We have from part b) that ##m_6^2\propto \mu^{2n-4}## so ##\mu dm_6^2/d\mu \propto \mu^{2n-4}=O(1)## so this is finite since we take $n=2$ since we have two dimensions case here.
##m_4^2 \propto \mu^{n-2}## so ##\mu dm_4^2/d\mu \propto \mu^{n-2} = O(1)##.

Assuming I answered correctly item c), how to answer the other items here?
I am not sure I answered it correctly, though.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a), consider looking at the powers of loop momenta in a typical Feynman diagram. What does the propagator look like? What is the measure? For what diagrams will you have ultraviolet divergences?

nrqed said:
For part a), consider looking at the powers of loop momenta in a typical Feynman diagram. What does the propagator look like? What is the measure? For what diagrams will you have ultraviolet divergences?
I looked at the appendix of Peskin&Schrodinger and there's no mention of Feynman rules for $\phi^6$, so I don't know how do they look like?

Perhaps in Brown's they appear?

Last edited:
I looked at the appendix of Peskin&Schrodinger and there's no mention of Feynman rules for $\phi^6$, so I don't know how do they look like?

Perhaps in Brown's they appear?
There is no derivative in that term so the Feynman run is simply that these vertices are accompanied by the coefficient ##m^2_{0,6}##. So it is like the ##\lambda \Phi^4/4!## term in ##\phi^4## theory.

nrqed said:
There is no derivative in that term so the Feynman run is simply that these vertices are accompanied by the coefficient ##m^2_{0,6}##. So it is like the ##\lambda \Phi^4/4!## term in ##\phi^4## theory.
But we have already a ##\phi^4/4!## in this Lagrangian.

So how is it like the ##\phi^4## theory?

You were asking what the Feynman rule was, so I meant that the Feynman rule is just a constant times the vertex. To prove that, you follow exactly the same step as proving the Feynman rule for the phi^4 vertex. This is what I meant. Of course this vertex has six scalar lines connected to it.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist

You are probably done with this problem, but I will just say add a few words in case someone else is interested in working this out.

Now that we know that there are no momenta in the Feynman rules of the vertices, the only source of momenta in the numerator of Feynman diagram comes from the measure. The momenta in the denominators come from the propagators, as usual. Now do you see why only closed loops starting and ending on the same vertex will produce a UV divergence?

1. What is renormalization in two dimensions?

Renormalization in two dimensions is a mathematical procedure used in quantum field theory to remove divergences that arise in calculations. It involves rescaling certain parameters in the theory to make the calculations more manageable.

2. Why is renormalization necessary in two dimensions?

In two dimensions, certain physical quantities, such as the mass of a particle, become infinite in calculations. This is due to the nature of two-dimensional space, where fluctuations can occur more easily. Renormalization helps to eliminate these infinities and make the calculations more meaningful.

3. How does renormalization work in two dimensions?

Renormalization in two dimensions involves introducing a cutoff parameter, which limits the range of values that can be used in calculations. This cutoff is gradually removed as the calculations are refined, resulting in a more accurate and finite value for the physical quantity being studied.

4. What are the applications of renormalization in two dimensions?

Renormalization in two dimensions has applications in various fields of physics, such as condensed matter physics, statistical mechanics, and string theory. It is particularly useful in studying systems with critical phenomena, where fluctuations play a crucial role.

5. What are the limitations of renormalization in two dimensions?

Renormalization in two dimensions is not a perfect solution and has its limitations. For example, it can only be applied to certain types of theories, and the choice of cutoff can affect the final result. Additionally, there are some cases where renormalization fails to remove all infinities, leading to discrepancies in calculations.