Rent a manual stick shift car in US?

In summary, very few companies in the US offer manual rental cars, and those that do often charge a premium. If you're near Mexico, you might be able to find a rental car through a cross-border company. Motorcycle rental is an option if you have a license.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm curious whether it is at all possible to rent a stick shift car in the US, or are they all automatic? I just received my driving license and I'd like to practice, so a road trip is on my list. I need a vacation anyway :biggrin: The problem is that in Europe (the countries I checked) I need to have my license for two years before I can rent a car, there is no such restriction in the US. I don't want to drive an automatic though, any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Very very few companies offer manual. If they do it's likely a premium company like Hertz and you'll likely be renting a nice Mercedes or some convertible at $100+/day.

Buy a cheap beater as a practice car. Most rentals stopped because people who did rent one rented it to practice on. Too many of them were getting destroyed for just this purpose. If you're near Mexico you might be able to work out a deal with a cross-border rental company.

You might want to hook up with some car dealers in your projected destination. Car dealers with extra inventory often rent them out, and automatics are not all of their inventory. When I taught my wife to drive, it was in a little manual stick-shift, and she steadfastly refused to drive an automatic. We got by.

Good luck in your quest.

This is not easy to do. Since people who can drive an automatic can also drive a stick, but the inverse isn't true, most rental companies only rent automatics. Another reason they don't like to do this is if they did, people would rent them to learn on them. One customer, one clutch.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Very very few companies offer manual. If they do it's likely a premium company like Hertz and you'll likely be renting a nice Mercedes or some convertible at $100+/day.
We have a platinum Sixt card so always get nice upgrades: rent a mini get a bwm. I checked Sixt in SF and no cars were available (they're not located there?), in LA there were only 9 models and all automatic.

nsaspook said:
Buy a cheap beater as a practice car. Most rentals stopped because people who did rent one rented it to practice on. Too many of them were getting destroyed for just this purpose. If you're near Mexico you might be able to work out a deal with a cross-border rental company.
I hear that people just buy a car, but for a 2-3 week vacation that's too much hassle I think.

turbo said:
You might want to hook up with some car dealers in your projected destination. Car dealers with extra inventory often rent them out, and automatics are not all of their inventory. When I taught my wife to drive, it was in a little manual stick-shift, and she steadfastly refused to drive an automatic. We got by.

Good luck in your quest.
Thanks, I'm thinking of visiting some national parks in Western US. Never been in SF and the Grand Canyon is definitely on my list, I'll have to see if there is enough time for a round trip. Then contacting a dealership would be an idea, otherwise it would be more convenient to pick up a car in one city and drop it off at another.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is not easy to do. Since people who can drive an automatic can also drive a stick, but the inverse isn't true, most rental companies only rent automatics. Another reason they don't like to do this is if they did, people would rent them to learn on them. One customer, one clutch.
I was afraid of that. I don't know what will happen when I start driving an automatic, I'll become a lazy driver :biggrin:

Get a cheap motorcycle; it’s the best way to learn without destroying something expensive in my opinion. I taught my girlfriend on my old Goldwing and it worked out pretty well, but even a cheapo dirt bike in a secluded parking lot at night would work. She picked up stick in the truck in about two hours afterwards. It might sound unrelated, and to a degree it is, but the principles are the same. I would almost trust her on my Harley now. Almost.

This is if it’s feasible, here it’s pretty easy to get permit/license for bikes. I don’t know the laws and what not in the UK or if you’d feel comfortable on two wheels. If you can get your license before your road trip there are bike rentals over here. To ummm... practice on. :wink:

Monique said:
I was afraid of that. I don't know what will happen when I start driving an automatic, I'll become a lazy driver :biggrin:
Nothing exciting will happen when you "start" driving an automatic. But once you get confident enough to forget about controlling the car and concentrate on driving, you will probably floor the brake pedal with your left foot when nobody else expects it :redface:

Vanadium 50 said:
One customer, one clutch.

Student100 said:
Get a cheap motorcycle; it’s the best way to learn without destroying something expensive in my opinion. I taught my girlfriend on my old Goldwing and it worked out pretty well, but even a cheapo dirt bike in a secluded parking lot at night would work. She picked up stick in the truck in about two hours afterwards. It might sound unrelated, and to a degree it is, but the principles are the same. I would almost trust her on my Harley now. Almost.

The problem must be poor (or non-existent) teaching, not the difficulty of the task. After all, everybody in the UK starts learning to drive on a stick-shift, and driving instructors don't need to replace the clutch every week. Balancing on two wheels while learning seems an unnecessary complication!

Modern electronic engine management systems have made it much harder to stall than it used to be, so long as you are basically doing the right things (i.e. not hitting red line on the rev counter and then trying to do a racing start).

Find a quiet level piece of tarmac, and start by learning how to get the car moving in first gear without touching the gas pedal at all. Once you can do that reliably, everything else is easy.

You could rent a small U-haul truck with a stick. Plenty of room for camping gear. :wink:

AlephZero said:
Nothing exciting will happen when you "start" driving an automatic. But once you get confident enough to forget about controlling the car and concentrate on driving, you will probably floor the brake pedal with your left foot when nobody else expects it :redface:
Haha, that happened to a friend when driving the bridal car. Very funny, as long you're not driving at high speed.
Modern electronic engine management systems have made it much harder to stall than it used to be, so long as you are basically doing the right things
Yeah, driving a stick shift is not hard at all. My instructor took me to the highway before first explaining where the 4th and 5th gear are and when to shift, it wasn't a problem though. I stalled the car only twice, once during the intermediate exam at the start when driving out of the parking lot and the second time during the real exam at the first traffic light, just due to extra tension.

It's annoying that these limitation exist that a license must be owned for at least 1-2 years before one can rent a car. I have nowhere to park a car, I depend on rentals. A friend owns a Maserati that we sometimes borrow, but I doubt I get to drive it :smile:

Do you feel comfortable on hills? That was my biggest problem when learning. SF has a lot of them!

Yeah, here in the US you have to go out of your way to get a stick shift, even when purchasing a vehicle. Hardly anyone learns to drive with them anymore.

Student100 said:
Do you feel comfortable on hills? That was my biggest problem when learning. SF has a lot of them!

Yeah, here in the US you have to go out of your way to get a stick shift, even when purchasing a vehicle. Hardly anyone learns to drive with them anymore.

Monique lives in The Netherlands. They don't have hills really, and nothing like San Francisco, where sidewalks are sometimes replaced by stairs. They have lots of negative hills though (areas below sea level :biggrin:).

Monique, it will be tough renting a stick shift from one of the traditional rental companies. But I don't think driving an automatic will hurt your learning too much. You still use the same time/speed/distance judgement, and that's critical.

Monique said:

Or learn to left foot brake, because the appendage in question gets bored with nothing else to do. You very quickly learn feel.

Student100 said:
I hear that "almost."
Two of my motorcycles have foot clutches and you shift gears with your (left) hand. Except for the hand you use to shift, this is similar to how you shift a manual transmission on a car. The other two motorcycles are newer and have the more prevalent hand-clutch, foot shift combination.
Student100 said:
This is if it’s feasible, here it’s pretty easy to get permit/license for bikes. I don’t know the laws and what not in the UK or if you’d feel comfortable on two wheels. If you can get your license before your road trip there are bike rentals over here. To ummm... practice on. :wink:

Student100 said:

Again, it's what you are used to. I've only driven an automatic a few times in my life, and I wouldn't have any idea how to start safely on a steep hill without reading the instructions first. On the other hand, driving a stick shift on single track roads with lots of blind corners, passing places about the same length as a car, and 20% or even 25% gradients - no problem!

Student100 said:
This is if it’s feasible, here it’s pretty easy to get permit/license for bikes. I don’t know the laws and what not in the UK or if you’d feel comfortable on two wheels.

As somebody else said, Monique isn't in the UK, but the UK regulations for bikes are tougher than for cars. For example you have to complete an off-road training course and pass a test before you are allowed on the road at all, and after that there are restrictions on the engine size/power/max speed of bikes you can ride while learning - definitely no Goldwings or Harleys allowed.

AlephZero said:
Again, it's what you are used to. I've only driven an automatic a few times in my life, and I wouldn't have any idea how to start safely on a steep hill without reading the instructions first. On the other hand, driving a stick shift on single track roads with lots of blind corners, passing places about the same length as a car, and 20% or even 25% gradients - no problem!

Yeah, I only mention it because it might be a bit harrowing if she finds a stick rental (or automatic for that matter) and gets frustrated with SF landscape if she's used to flatter pastures.

As somebody else said, Monique isn't in the UK, but the UK regulations for bikes are tougher than for cars. For example you have to complete an off-road training course and pass a test before you are allowed on the road at all, and after that there are restrictions on the engine size/power/max speed of bikes you can ride while learning - definitely no Goldwings or Harleys allowed.

That's my bad, I read Europe and subconsciously insert UK. :tongue:

Student100 said:
That's my bad, I read Europe and subconsciously insert UK. :tongue:

You have just won this years "most ridiculous quote" contest.

lisab said:
Monique lives in The Netherlands. They don't have hills really, and nothing like San Francisco, where sidewalks are sometimes replaced by stairs. They have lots of negative hills though (areas below sea level :biggrin:).

Amsterdam has hills too :biggrin:
8468096147_88d20868f9_m.jpg

But I'll stay away from those for a while and I probably won't choose to drive in San Francisco either, depending what traffic is like. I have a fear of heights and driving in the mountains is torture, so learning to navigate winding roads in an urban environment (where you won't drop into a ravine), does sound like a good way to get over the fear.

Monique, it will be tough renting a stick shift from one of the traditional rental companies. But I don't think driving an automatic will hurt your learning too much. You still use the same time/speed/distance judgement, and that's critical.
I guess you're right, it will be good for developing driving judgement. And it will be fun to drive on vacation! I haven't seen any other countries where I could get that opportunity. Maybe it's the automatic car that makes them more confident in beginner drivers, although I at first thought it was the wide and straightforward roads and lack of cyclists that makes it easier to drive.

When are you going? If it's later this year, SF to Yosemite National Park is an easy half day drive, and Yosemite to Zion is an easy one day drive if the road out of Yosemite is open (the road is opened mid May in years with light snow to early June in years with lots of snow). From Zion, it's a short drive to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and to Bryce National Park. The road from Yosemite to Zion passes through Vegas, which may or may not grab you.

Vanadium 50 said:

It's the other way around isn't it. Stick drivers can jump in and handle an automatic or a stick with ease.
Drivers taught on an automatic have a more difficult time transferring over to a stick.

Learning how to manipulate the brake, clutch and accelerator without stalling or having a jerking takeoff is more difficult, than the simpler automatic.
Especially, on inclines one has to hold the brake, let out the clutch and when it starts to grab quickly move the foot over to give the engine some power, or use the other option with the park brake and release when the clutch grabs and the engine is up to revs.

With an automatic, since the engine will not stall, things become much more simpler.
If Monique rents an automatic, she might never want to back to a stick, since gear shifting at the correct revs and all that jazz is taken care of "automatically".

You just got a drivers license now?? seems a little late, but I guess better than never. Hardly anyone drives a stick shift in the United States

The US has a completely different "car culture" from Europe.

The biggest groups of European cars with automatic transmission (apart from hire cars for foreign visitors!) are top-of-the range (sales of models classed as "luxury" are close to 100% automatic, and the next category down is about 50%), and cars bought by people with disabilities etc who physically can't drive a stick shift.

Overall, about 5 out of 6 new cars sold in Europe are stick shift.

D H said:
When are you going? If it's later this year, SF to Yosemite National Park is an easy half day drive, and Yosemite to Zion is an easy one day drive if the road out of Yosemite is open (the road is opened mid May in years with light snow to early June in years with lots of snow). From Zion, it's a short drive to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and to Bryce National Park. The road from Yosemite to Zion passes through Vegas, which may or may not grab you.
Thanks for the input! I have not decided on the time yet, I'm still working out options. I just bought a Lonely planet for Western USA and a North America road map. A colleague told me that the north route to the Grand Canyon is not as impressive as the south route, is that true? He mentioned from the south you can see Las Vegas from far away in the desert, which is an impressive sight. While the north route is mainly area 51 and you just drive into Las Vegas, without a good view. Sounds familiar?

256bits said:
It's the other way around isn't it. Stick drivers can jump in and handle an automatic or a stick with ease.
Drivers taught on an automatic have a more difficult time transferring over to a stick.
In the Netherlands one either gets a manual gear license or an automatic one. With an automatic gear license one is not allowed to drive manual gear cars.

Woopydalan said:
You just got a drivers license now?? seems a little late, but I guess better than never. Hardly anyone drives a stick shift in the United States
Yes, I didn't have money when I was 18: I was struggling to pay for education. When 20 I was in the USA and passed for my theory license twice (the first expired, so I did another test), but then I had no one to take lessons with. I was living in midtown Detroit and didn't know any trustable driving schools. Then I obtained a masters degree, so didn't have a decent income and afterwards a PhD so no time. However, now it was time to do something for myself, so I took a lot of time off from work to finally get it done. Not the best time, because I really was too stressed with work and deadlines. In the end I received the license on the first exam, while there is a 30% success rate in Amsterdam. I just never needed a license, so without a stick behind the door there are always more important things to get done.

Monique said:
Thanks for the input! I have not decided on the time yet, I'm still working out options. I just bought a Lonely planet for Western USA and a North America road map.

Zion, Bryce Canyon and Arches National Park are not to be missed! Also stop in Chicago and say hi to ZapperZ and me :)

I did San Diego to San Fran and then Las Vegas to Salt Lake City. Great driving country!

Haha, I'm not sure if Chicago is en route :biggrin: Maybe if we decide to take route 66 :wink:

Monique said:
A colleague told me that the north route to the Grand Canyon is not as impressive as the south route, is that true? He mentioned from the south you can see Las Vegas from far away in the desert, which is an impressive sight. While the north route is mainly area 51 and you just drive into Las Vegas, without a good view. Sounds familiar?
The view from the North Rim isn't quite as spectacular. The South Rim is at a lower altitude, so the look across to the North Rim is *wow*. The view from the North Rim is still mighty fine. Those other nearby National Parks more than compensate the slightly less magnificent view from the North Rim side. The North Rim is also less crowded, and that too is a big plus in my book.

As far as the drive is concerned, if you're driving from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon, you are going to see desert. Lots and lots of desert. The road east out of Vegas to southwestern Utah isn't all that great -- until you get near the eastern end of Nevada, that is. You'll see mountains rising up in the distance. The road goes straight toward them -- and then into them. When you leave Nevada, the desert is replaced by the Virgin River gorge. The 30 mile segment of I15 that cuts across the northwest corner of Arizona is one of the most scenic highways in the country. When you leave the gorge, the desert is replaced by semiarid terrain. You are now in red rock country.

It's getting very difficult to purchase a manual transmission in the US, let alone rent one. About the only cars where a manual is still offered (they used to be called 'standard' transmissions, because automatics had to be special order) are the high performance (and expensive) cars like Mustang, Corvette, Viper, etc., and on the lower end of the price range, like a Ford Focus. Most of the cars favored by rental companies, the so-called mid-size or full-size sedans, aren't even offered with manuals by the factory. Out of all the cars sold in the US recently, about 6-7% came with a manual. As mileage and pollution regulations get stricter, the manual might go the way of the dodo in the near future. With 8-speed automatics becoming available, cars get better mileage than with a manual gearbox and since the engine is always under load, less pollution is emitted.

At least with US driver's licenses, you were free to operate either an automatic or a manual transmission, unless you had some physical disability which prevented it. I had learned to drive an automatic and practiced a little on manuals, but was not smooth clutching by any means. When I bought my first brand new car (a 1984 Camaro Z28), I specifically ordered the 5-speed manual because the automatic in those years was relatively fragile and unreliable. It took me a while to get the hang of shifting, especially in city traffic, but the gearbox never had a problem in 15 years of daily driving.

SteamKing said:
As mileage and pollution regulations get stricter, the manual might go the way of the dodo in the near future. With 8-speed automatics becoming available, cars get better mileage than with a manual gearbox and since the engine is always under load, less pollution is emitted.

I don't think manuals will ever go away completely. In the small car market, you can't beat the lightness amd simplicty.

For your work a day models you'll see DCTs more often, and with luxury models the slushbox will always be king.

The 8 speed ZF box truly is brilliant.

They certainly are doing strong in Europe, I noticed when I went on a trip there last summer almost everyone is driving a manual transmission. I'm not sure why the ''car culture'' is different in Europe than the United States, but in my opinion it is a little silly to drive a manual car if you have the option to drive automatic.

SteamKing said:
As mileage and pollution regulations get stricter, the manual might go the way of the dodo in the near future. With 8-speed automatics becoming available, cars get better mileage than with a manual gearbox and since the engine is always under load, less pollution is emitted.
I don't know about that, what I know is that a manual is more fuel efficient than an automatic transmission. As you indicate that might change with new technology, but a manual can also be fitted with extra gears (6th is becoming more common). In addition, a manual transmission is more easy to maintain and it give much better control over the vehicle.

Woopydalan said:
They certainly are doing strong in Europe, I noticed when I went on a trip there last summer almost everyone is driving a manual transmission. I'm not sure why the ''car culture'' is different in Europe than the United States, but in my opinion it is a little silly to drive a manual car if you have the option to drive automatic.
Manual transmission gives you an option what gear to drive in: do you need a lot of power in a situation (such as entering a highway) or little power (when driving a priority road). Normally one would drive 3rd gear on a 50 km/h road (30 mph), but when the situation permits it one can change to the 4th or 5th gear and the engine will almost run stationary.

Woopydalan said:

Cheaper, mechanically more simple, generally quicker, better economy, you can bump start it if the starter dies. You can also control the slip of the clutch so you have more control pulling away in adverse conditions.

Generally europeans drive smaller cars, drive less distance and do a lot of stop start city driving. All of which carry a penalty if you have an auto due to the slipping torque converter.

Long highway journeys and heavier cars are affected less.

It depends how you view a car. If it's purely a means of getting from point a to point b, then an auto makes sense. If you enjoy the act of driving a manual does make you feel more connected.

A manual is easier on the gas, but, as already noted, is not so easy to milk that extra mileage out anymore. The weight difference is not that significant.

Monique said:
I don't know about that, what I know is that a manual is more fuel efficient than an automatic transmission. As you indicate that might change with new technology, but a manual can also be fitted with extra gears (6th is becoming more common). In addition, a manual transmission is more easy to maintain and it give much better control over the vehicle.

That was the conventional wisdom in the old days. But US automatics now have so-called 'lock-up' torque converters which provide a direct connection between the engine and transmission (similar to the clutch plate in manual box) once cruising speed has been reached. This feature reduces a lot of the gas mileage penalty of older automatics v. manual gear boxes. The newer auto trans. with 8 speeds also keep the engine speed from varying widely between shifts, which is also a mileage killer. And auto trans. come with overdrives as well, further closing the gap.

Manual transmission gives you an option what gear to drive in: do you need a lot of power in a situation (such as entering a highway) or little power (when driving a priority road). Normally one would drive 3rd gear on a 50 km/h road (30 mph), but when the situation permits it one can change to the 4th or 5th gear and the engine will almost run stationary.

Most people just put an auto. trans. in 'Drive' and forget about it. However, if you run into a situation where a lower gear is desired (for additional traction on slick roads for example), most automatics let you select a 'Drive 1' or 'Drive 2', where the auto doesn't shift completely thru the gears in this selection. Overdrive auto. trans. also have a switch where you can disable this feature as well.

I once had to drive an old Ford Mustang with a 3-speed automatic w/o snow tires or chains on slick/snowy roads in NY state. On level roads, it was dicey, but if even a slight hill was encountered, you were in trouble. What I did was to shift into 'Drive 2' and gently ease up any hill at low speed, being careful not to start spinning the tires.

Monique said:
Manual transmission gives you an option what gear to drive in:

There is a basic difference in "driving style" there. With a manual transmission, you select the gear you need for acceleration, before you need the power. With an automatic, you just poke the gas pedal and wait for "the system" to react.

Automatic transmission is great in the right place. Driving a farm tractor with a 32-speed automatic box, when you can just set the speed you want to travel while working and let the system play with the gears as the load varies, is one thing. Driving a car is something else.

1. What is a manual stick shift car?

A manual stick shift car, also known as a manual transmission or "stick shift" car, is a type of vehicle that requires the driver to manually shift gears using a stick or lever. This is different from an automatic transmission car, which shifts gears automatically.

2. Why would someone want to rent a manual stick shift car?

Some people prefer driving manual cars because they offer more control and a more engaging driving experience. Additionally, manual cars tend to be more fuel-efficient and can be cheaper to rent compared to automatic cars.

3. Are there any special requirements for renting a manual stick shift car?

Yes, most rental car companies require a valid driver's license and proof of insurance to rent a manual stick shift car. Some companies may also require you to have prior experience driving a manual car.

4. Can anyone learn to drive a manual stick shift car?

Yes, anyone can learn to drive a manual car with practice and patience. It may feel challenging at first, but with time and practice, it can become second nature.

5. Are there any specific locations in the US where manual stick shift cars are more popular?

Manual cars are more popular in certain regions, such as the Northeast and West Coast, where there is a higher concentration of urban areas and winding roads. However, manual cars can be found for rent in most major cities and airports throughout the US.