Represent |+x> and |-x> in the Sy basis

• Thread starter TastyPastry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, to find the column vectors representing |+x> and |-x> using the states |+y> and |-y> as a basis, you need to find a transformation matrix T that will change the basis from the original z-basis to the new y-basis. Once you have T, you can use it to calculate the column vectors for |+x> and |-x> in the new basis. This can be done by multiplying T with the original column vectors for |+y> and |-y>.
TastyPastry

Homework Statement

Determine the column vectors representing |+x> and |-x> using the states |+y> and |-y> as a basis.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if |+y> and |-y> are used as a basis, then they are the column vectors (1,0) and (0,1) respectively. I also know that |+x> as a column vector in the Sz basis is 1/√2 (1,0) and |+y> in the Sz basis is a column vector 1/√2 (1,i). However, these were predetermined values that represented states in a Stern Gerlach experiment. I'm not sure how to approach making the |+x> and |-x> in a different basis, namely the Sy basis.

Likes pendarkhalis
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find a transformation matrix to change basis. If we call T our transformation matrix, and we have the operator S_y in the original basis, and S_y' is in the new basis, then S_y' = T* S_y T, where the * denotes the hermitian conjugate. Since S_y' is in the y-basis, it should be diagonal and the same as S_z in the z-basis, namely ({1,0},{0 -1}). So just solve for T, then use the fact that |+x> in the new basis will be equal to T |+x>. This might be T* |+x>, but you can double check which one, since you know what the two y states will be in the new basis (i.e. (1.0) = T |+y> or T*|+y>) My copy of Sakurai is in my office right now, so I can't look the formulas up to double check.

Likes pendarkhalis

1. What does the representation |+x> and |-x> mean in the Sy basis?

In quantum mechanics, the representation |+x> and |-x> refer to the state of a particle in the spin up (+x) or spin down (-x) direction in the Sy basis.

2. How is the Sy basis different from other bases in quantum mechanics?

The Sy basis is one of the three commonly used bases in quantum mechanics, along with the Sx and Sz bases. It represents the spin of a particle in the y-direction, while the Sx basis represents the spin in the x-direction and the Sz basis represents the spin in the z-direction.

3. What is the relationship between the representation |+x> and |-x> in the Sy basis?

The representation |+x> and |-x> in the Sy basis are orthogonal to each other, meaning they are perpendicular and have no overlap. This indicates that the spin of a particle can only be either in the +x or -x direction in the Sy basis.

4. How do you convert between the Sy basis and other bases in quantum mechanics?

To convert between the Sy basis and other bases, one can use mathematical operations such as rotations and transformations. For example, to convert from the Sy basis to the Sx basis, one can use a rotation matrix to rotate the spin direction from y to x.

5. What is the physical significance of the representation |+x> and |-x> in the Sy basis?

The representation |+x> and |-x> in the Sy basis have physical significance as they represent the observable spin of particles in the y-direction. This can be measured through experiments such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment.