1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Represent |+x> and |-x> in the Sy basis

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the column vectors representing |+x> and |-x> using the states |+y> and |-y> as a basis.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that if |+y> and |-y> are used as a basis, then they are the column vectors (1,0) and (0,1) respectively. I also know that |+x> as a column vector in the Sz basis is 1/√2 (1,0) and |+y> in the Sz basis is a column vector 1/√2 (1,i). However, these were predetermined values that represented states in a Stern Gerlach experiment. I'm not sure how to approach making the |+x> and |-x> in a different basis, namely the Sy basis.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2
    You want to find a transformation matrix to change basis. If we call T our transformation matrix, and we have the operator S_y in the original basis, and S_y' is in the new basis, then S_y' = T* S_y T, where the * denotes the hermitian conjugate. Since S_y' is in the y-basis, it should be diagonal and the same as S_z in the z-basis, namely ({1,0},{0 -1}). So just solve for T, then use the fact that |+x> in the new basis will be equal to T |+x>. This might be T* |+x>, but you can double check which one, since you know what the two y states will be in the new basis (i.e. (1.0) = T |+y> or T*|+y>) My copy of Sakurai is in my office right now, so I can't look the formulas up to double check.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted