Representation of Angular Momentum Operator in the (j,j')

In summary: The representation (j,j')\oplus(j',j) is a 12 dimensional vector space, and the generators will have a block diagonal form as you described. Therefore, the operator A (left SU(2)) will look like \begin{pmatrix}A_{2\times2} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1_{3\times3} & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & A_{3\times3} & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 & 1_{2\times2} \end{pmatrix} This is because (j,j') and (j',j) are each 6
a2009
Hello All,

I'm trying to understand how the (j,j') representation of the Lorentz group. Following Ryder, I can see why we define A=J+iK and B=J-iK, which each form an SU(2) group. So it's clear to me what the rep of these generators is when acting on a state (j,j'): [tex]Rep(A)\otimes1+1\otimes Rep(B)[/tex]. Where Rep(A) and Rep(B) are the appropriate j and j' reps.

My question is this: given the rep [tex](j,j')\oplus(j',j)[/tex], what is the induced rep on the generators? For example how do I act with A or J on this state?

Thanks a whole bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a representation [tex]r[/tex] and associated generators [tex]R[/tex], then the generators for the representation [tex]r\oplus r'[/tex] are

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} R & 0 \\ 0& R'\end{pmatrix}.[/tex]

As a sort of converse, if a representation [tex]\tilde{r}[/tex] is reducible to a sum [tex]r\oplus r'[/tex], then the generators [tex]\tilde{R}[/tex] are block diagonal, as above.

Thanks for the quick reply. But I didn't understand. In the [tex](1/2,1)\oplus(1,1/2)[/tex] of Lorentz, does the operator A (the left SU(2)) look like this

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
A_{2\times2} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1_{3\times3} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & A_{3\times3} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1_{2\times2}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

a2009 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. But I didn't understand. In the [tex](1/2,1)\oplus(1,1/2)[/tex] of Lorentz, does the operator A (the left SU(2)) look like this

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
A_{2\times2} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1_{3\times3} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & A_{3\times3} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1_{2\times2}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

No, there's separate blocks for the right and left-generators. The block decomposition is only for the sums, not the tensor products. So you'd have

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
A_{2\times2} & 0 \\
0 & A_{3\times3}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Sorry I still don't understand. Each (j,j') is a (2j+1)X(2j'+1) dimensional vector space. So in the case of [tex](1/2,1)\oplus(1,1/2)[/tex] it should be a twelve dimensional vector space. What you wrote is five dimensional. Maybe the answer is [tex] A_{2\times2}\otimes 1_{3\times3} \oplus A_{3\times3}\otimes 1_{2\times2} [/tex]? This would give

[tex] \begin{pmatrix}
\left( A_{2\times2}\otimes 1_{3\times3} \right)_{6\times 6} & 0 \\
0 & \left( A_{3\times3}\otimes 1_{2\times2} \right)_{6\times 6}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

which is a twelve dim operator like I'd expect. Does this make any sense?

Thank!

a2009 said:
Sorry I still don't understand. Each (j,j') is a (2j+1)X(2j'+1) dimensional vector space. So in the case of [tex](1/2,1)\oplus(1,1/2)[/tex] it should be a twelve dimensional vector space. What you wrote is five dimensional. Maybe the answer is [tex] A_{2\times2}\otimes 1_{3\times3} \oplus A_{3\times3}\otimes 1_{2\times2} [/tex]? This would give

[tex] \begin{pmatrix}
\left( A_{2\times2}\otimes 1_{3\times3} \right)_{6\times 6} & 0 \\
0 & \left( A_{3\times3}\otimes 1_{2\times2} \right)_{6\times 6}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

which is a twelve dim operator like I'd expect. Does this make any sense?

Thank!

This is right.

1. What is the angular momentum operator in the (j,j') representation?

The angular momentum operator in the (j,j') representation is a mathematical representation of the quantum mechanical concept of angular momentum. It is typically denoted as Jj,j' and is used to describe the rotational motion and properties of particles.

2. What is the significance of the (j,j') representation in quantum mechanics?

The (j,j') representation is significant because it allows for the simultaneous measurement of both the magnitude and direction of angular momentum. This representation is useful in understanding the behavior of particles in a wide range of physical systems, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

3. What are the main differences between the (j,j') representation and other representations of the angular momentum operator?

The main difference between the (j,j') representation and other representations, such as the x,y,z or spherical representations, lies in the way the angular momentum operator is expressed. In the (j,j') representation, the operator is expressed in terms of two angular momentum quantum numbers, j and j', which correspond to the magnitude and direction of angular momentum, respectively.

4. How is the angular momentum operator transformed between different representations?

The transformation of the angular momentum operator between different representations can be achieved using mathematical operators known as rotation matrices. These matrices allow for the conversion of the operator from one representation to another, while maintaining its physical meaning and properties.

5. Can the (j,j') representation be used to describe other types of angular momentum, such as orbital or spin?

Yes, the (j,j') representation can be used to describe other types of angular momentum, including orbital and spin. This is because the (j,j') representation is a general mathematical framework that can be applied to any type of angular momentum, as long as the appropriate quantum numbers are used to define the operator.