Representations of semi-simple lie algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that all finite-dimensional representations of semisimple Lie algebras are Hermitian, with references to specific pages in two different books. The participants also mention a proof for compact Lie groups and the relevance of a real compact Lie group whose complexification is the semi-simple Lie algebra. They also express their struggles in finding a more elementary proof and their curiosity about the level of information contained in the book.
branch
Hello everybody,

in Schwartz' QFT book it says (p. 483 - 484)
A theorem that explains the importance of semisimple Lie algebras in physics states that all finite-dimensional representations of semisimple algebras are Hermitian (see Problem 25.3
In Problem 25.3 this is repeated asking the reader for a proof. I wonder though if this is really true. I know this can be proven for Lie algebras of compact Lie groups (or to be precise, every representation is equivalent to a hermitian one), but I would not know how to show it for semisimple Lie algebras.

Physics news on Phys.org
page 230 of the book by fuchs and schweigert may be relevant. it shows how to construct a hermitian form on a highest weight module, which in the semi simple case is non degenerate. but i am a novice here.

Hello mathwonk,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately this argument is a bit too abstract for me. However, if this means that the statement is indeed true I will try to find a more elementary proof. If I fail I will ask for help in the Homework & Courseworks forum section.

branch said:
Hello mathwonk,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately this argument is a bit too abstract for me. However, if this means that the statement is indeed true I will try to find a more elementary proof. If I fail I will ask for help in the Homework & Courseworks forum section.

As you've already mentioned you know the proof for compact Lie groups, i.e. Weyl's unitarian trick, this result is a simple application of it. I'll start with a lightning review of Weyl's trick. To a compact Lie group G, associate a biinvariant measure dg. Now form an inner product on the complex vector space V, being used for the representation. Take this measure and average it over the group.Since V was taken to be complex, this averaged measure must be Hermitian.
Now we consider a complex semi-simple Lie algebra g. There exists a compact form, y, the Lie algebra of the real compact Lie group Y whose complexifiied Lie algebra is g.As a representation of y and g will agree on a complex vector space, we can apply the lifting property of simply connected groups to conclude that a representation of g must also be unitary. Have a nice day.

Likes branch
Hey lchigo449,

thank you very much. So for every complex semi-simple Lie algebra there is a real compact Lie group whose complexification is the semi-simple Lie algebra. This is probably a basic fact, but as a Physicist I am struggling to find the relevant knowledge of this subject (I especially wonder if someone having only the information of the book in the OP is able to come up with such a proof...).
A nice day to you too :smile:

Just out of curiosity, what level of information is contained in this book? Also, glad I could clear up any confusion.

I'm working on this problem, too. But I really don't know how to start.

@lchigo449, that is a Quantum field theory book, and the only information related to this problem is the definition of semi-simple algebras.

What is a semi-simple Lie algebra?

A semi-simple Lie algebra is a type of mathematical structure that describes the algebraic properties of a group of matrices. It is characterized by the fact that it has no non-trivial, proper ideals, meaning that it cannot be broken down into simpler components.

What is the significance of semi-simple Lie algebras in physics?

Semi-simple Lie algebras are an important tool in understanding the symmetries and structure of physical systems. They are used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics, to describe the underlying mathematical structure of physical laws and processes.

How are representations of semi-simple Lie algebras used in mathematics?

Representations of semi-simple Lie algebras are used to study the structure and properties of these algebras. They provide a way to break down a complex algebra into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand. Representations also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as representation theory and group theory.

How are representations of semi-simple Lie algebras classified?

Representations of semi-simple Lie algebras are classified based on their dimension and the highest weight of their irreducible components. This classification is known as the Dynkin classification and is an important tool in understanding the properties of these algebras.

What are some real-world applications of semi-simple Lie algebras?

Semi-simple Lie algebras have applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to study the symmetries and properties of physical systems, as well as in the development of mathematical models and algorithms for optimization and control problems. They also have applications in computer science, particularly in the field of machine learning.