Calculating the Required Charge for Gravitational Force

In summary, the required size of Q to reproduce the observed magnitude of the gravitational force is 1.63 * 10^27 C.
dfetnum

Homework Statement

The similarity of form of Newton’s law of gravitation and Coulomb’s Law caused some to speculate that the force of gravity is related to the electrostatic force. Suppose that gravitation is entirely electrical in nature—that an excess charge Q on the Moon and an equal and opposite excess charge –Q on the Earth are responsible for the gravitational force that causes the observed orbital motion of the Moon about the Earth. What is the required size of Q to reproduce the observed magnitude of the gravitational force?

Homework Equations

Fe=kQ1Q2/(r^2)
Fg=GM1M2/(r^2)

I used these values:
The gravitational constant (G) = 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2 / Kg^2 .
The mass of the Earth (m1) = 6.0 x 10^24 Kg .
The mass of the moon (m2) = 7.35 x 10^22 Kg .
The average distance from the center of the Earth to the center of the moon is 384,400,000 m
k=9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I set Fg equal to Fe and using the above values found the value of Q to be 1.63 * 10^27 C, but it is incorrect. Any idea where I went wrong? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi dfetnum. Welcome to Physics Forums.

You'll have to show more of your work so that we can see what's gone wrong. How did you arrive at the number you found?

Note that if you equate your two force expressions that you can cancel out the distance (r2) variable right away.

Last edited:

Thanks!

So first I set Fe=Fg:

G*M(earth)*M(moon)/(r^2) = k*(QE)(QM)/(r^2)

radius's cancel out

G*M(earth)*M(moon) = k*(QE)(QM)

The problem stated that the charges are equal so:

G*M(earth)*M(moon) = k*2Q

Then I plugged in:

(6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2 / Kg^2) * (6.0 x 10^24 Kg) * (7.35 x 10^22 Kg) = (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2) *2Q

I used a calculator to find Q

Ah. Q*Q ≠ 2Q :wink:

WOWWWWWWWWWW, how could I have done that. I spent way too long on this problem.

thanks!

1. How do you calculate the required charge for gravitational force?

To calculate the required charge for gravitational force, you first need to know the mass of the object and the distance between the two objects. Then, you can use the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the gravitational force, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. What is the universal gravitational constant?

The universal gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

3. How does distance affect the required charge for gravitational force?

The required charge for gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases. Therefore, the required charge for gravitational force also decreases with increasing distance.

4. Can the required charge for gravitational force be negative?

No, the required charge for gravitational force cannot be negative. Gravitational force is always attractive, which means that the two objects must have opposite charges (one positive and one negative) in order to experience a gravitational force. A negative required charge would indicate a repulsive force, which is not possible in the context of gravitational force.

5. How is the required charge for gravitational force different from electric charge?

The required charge for gravitational force is a parameter used to calculate the strength of the gravitational force between two objects, while electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it interacts with electric and magnetic fields. They are two separate concepts and are not directly related to each other.