Research in nanomedicine fields

In summary, the speaker is finishing their undergraduate degree in physics and is interested in getting involved in nanoscience work, specifically in the field of nanomedicine. They acknowledge that they need to learn more about biology and ask for text recommendations from a physics/engineering perspective. The suggested texts include those on nanoscience and technology, nanoelectronics, and nanomaterials, as well as those on biology such as molecular biology, essential cell biology, and biochemistry.
eprparadox
Hello,

I'm about to finish my undergraduate degree in physics and I don't have a lot of research experience, but I would love to get involved in nanoscience work. In particular, I want to work in nanomedicine...either in the diagnostics field (i.e. nanobiosensor work) or in the therapeutics field (i.e. drug delivery systems) for diseases.

My biology experience is really nonexistent so I know I have to pick up a cell bio book and get into that. But my question, from a physics/engineering perspective, what kinds of texts should I pick up to start learning more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get started in the field of nanomedicine, it is important to have a good understanding of the basic principles of physics and engineering. There are a number of texts that can help you learn about these fields, including: - Nanoscience and Technology: A Collection of Reviews and Tutorials (edited by C.P. Poole, Jr.) - Introduction to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (by G. Fasol) - Nanotechnology: Understanding Small Systems (by S.M.Reza Mahdavi and M.A.Hodges) - Fundamentals of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (by J.L.Kirkland) - Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties and Applications (edited by S.G. Advani and K.V. Rao) - Introduction to Nanoelectronics (by E.K.H. Salje and W.F. van der Weijden) It is also important to understand biology if you want to work in nanomedicine. Some texts which could be useful are: - Molecular Biology of the Cell (by Bruce Alberts) - Essential Cell Biology (by Bruce Alberts) - The Cell: A Molecular Approach (by Geoffrey Cooper) - Biochemistry (by Christopher Mathews and K.E. Van Holde) - Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry (by David Nelson and Michael Cox) Good luck with your studies!

What is nanomedicine?

Nanomedicine is a branch of medicine that involves the use of nanotechnology for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases. It involves the manipulation of materials at the nanoscale (1 to 100 nanometers) to create new medical devices, drugs, and delivery systems.

How does nanomedicine work?

Nanomedicine works by utilizing tiny particles, called nanoparticles, to interact with the body at the molecular level. These nanoparticles can be designed to target specific areas of the body, such as tumors, and deliver drugs or other therapeutic agents directly to those areas. They can also be used for imaging, sensing, and other diagnostic purposes.

What are the potential benefits of nanomedicine?

Nanomedicine has the potential to revolutionize healthcare by providing more targeted and effective treatments for diseases. It can also lead to less invasive procedures, reduced side effects, and improved patient outcomes. Additionally, nanomedicine has the potential to improve drug delivery, making treatments more efficient and reducing the need for frequent dosing.

What are the potential risks of nanomedicine?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with nanomedicine. These include the possibility of unintended side effects or toxicities from nanoparticles, as well as concerns about the long-term effects of exposure to these particles. It is important for researchers to thoroughly evaluate the safety of nanomedicine before it is used in clinical settings.

What are the current challenges in nanomedicine research?

One of the main challenges in nanomedicine research is the design and production of nanoparticles that are biocompatible and have low toxicity. Another challenge is the development of reliable methods for controlling the delivery and release of drugs from nanoparticles. Additionally, there is a need for more research on the long-term effects of nanomedicine on the body and the environment.