1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research project on heat transfer

1. May 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    have you ever encountered this equation? it is the energy differential equation through a rectangular tube

2. Relevant equations
    uρ(∂i/∂x)+vρ(∂i/∂y)+wρ(∂i/∂x)-[∂/∂x(k∂t/∂x)+∂/∂y(k∂t/∂y)+∂/∂z(k∂t/∂x)]=0
    heat transfer coeff is k

3. The attempt at a solution
    have you any idea how to derive this equation? I am reviewing a paper for a project and this equation derivation might be helpful for me. any help would be appreciated.

chris

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I guess that t is temperature, but what is i? This looks like a conservation equation. You probably need to check out a book on fluid mechanics.

4. May 8, 2017 #3
    If i were the same thing as t, this would look like the steady state differential heat balance equation for a fluid experiencing both heat advection (u,v,w) and conduction. If that were the case, then the rho in your equation would be the product of heat capacity and density, and the parameter k, rather than being the heat transfer coefficient, would be the thermal conductivity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted