Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research study on Digital Delay/Pulse Generators

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1

Emm

Hello everyone,

I am doing a little bit of research on Digital Delay and Pulse Generators, and I would like to ask a question to anyone who works with that kind of equipment. How do you choose a DD/PG? The main criterion I guess should be it's function (DD/PG models are normally very specialized into a given application for its use), but I am looking for other choice criteria: are there more popular brands? More reliable models on a long term basis? What do you look for in a DD/PG?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

P.S. I hope this is the right place to post this kind of question, if not please tell me and I will move it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2
    How accurate do you need to be? A counter and some and gates with switches
    can get you a pretty digital delay.
    When I need good equipment for my own use, I look on ebay.
    some of it is a little older, but some of the old HP is built like a tank.

4. Aug 17, 2012 #3

Emm

Well, I am not actually going to use one right now (in a couple of months probably), so for now I just want to know in general how you choose DD/PGs. Your answer was very interesting, thank you. I went to check ebay for the products they have, and I've noticed there are mostly HP/Agilent pulse generators and Stanford Research Systems (SRS) digital delay generators being sold there. What about other brands, do you consider them as possibilities when you want to buy a generator, or simply go for the most available product? I am thinking in particular of BNC, Avtech, Quantum Composers, TTi (Thurlby Thandar), Tektronix ... I mean there is a lot of choice. How do you make sure you will make the right one? Comparing the specs of every model is kind of laborious (talking from experience lol).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook