Residual Stress Analysis - Mechanics of Materials by Hibbeler

• Thread starter Hirams_bro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the Mechanics of Materials book by Hibbeler discusses residual stress loading diagrams which are commonly used in Strength of Materials courses to analyze a statically indeterminate bar with an external load. The first step is to create a stress-strain diagram for both the loading and unloading phases, with one side of the member going plastic while the other remains elastic. To find the residual stress, the book suggests removing the external load, which is equivalent to reversing it in the opposite direction. This is because adding a load in the opposite direction cancels out the initial load, resulting in no load being applied to the beam. This concept may be confusing, but it is an important aspect of understanding residual stress.
Hirams_bro
In my Mechanics of Materials book by Hibbeler, it discusses residual stress loading diagrams.
I'm sure anyone who has taken a Strenths of Materials course will remember the classic problem in residual stress analysis of a statically indeterminate bar between two fixed supports with an external load acting somewhere along its length. Here is a crude diagram. Beam
On every loading diagram of this sort it they first create a stress-strain diagram for the loading and unloading phase with one side of the member usually going plastic during loading while the other remains elastic.

Now, my book says to create the unloading part of the diagram and find the residual stress we remove the external load P "which is equivalent to reversing P in the opposite direction as it was during loading."

My question is, how does removing the external load equate to reversing it? How are those two the same thing? I asked my professor this, but he is literally a semester away from retirement and doesn't really answer questions of this sort too well.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, that drawing came out a lot cruder once it posted. I could scan the page from my book, but I don't know html and wouldn't know how to post it.

According to my knowledge i guess adding a load in the opposite direction cancels out the initial load in the other direction (note that this load to be added has to be of the same magnitude). And knowing from the definition of residual stress that it a stress or deformation caused after the external load applied to a structure has been removed, the two loads cancels out meaning the beam does not experience any load again since the loads have canceled each other out. Hope this helps a little as i am student in my final year myself and i am looking into residual stress effect on structures for my final year project.

Related to Residual Stress Analysis - Mechanics of Materials by Hibbeler

What is residual stress analysis?

Residual stress analysis is a technique used to determine the internal stresses present in a material after it has been subjected to external forces. It involves measuring the strain in a material and using this information to calculate the internal stresses.

Why is residual stress analysis important?

Residual stress analysis is important because it allows us to understand the potential failure mechanisms of a material. It can also help in the design and optimization of materials and structures, as well as in identifying the causes of failures.

What are the methods of residual stress analysis?

There are several methods of residual stress analysis, including X-ray diffraction, neutron diffraction, hole-drilling, and strain gauge methods. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the type of material and the level of accuracy required.

What factors can cause residual stresses in materials?

Residual stresses can be caused by a variety of factors such as manufacturing processes (e.g. welding, casting), thermal gradients, plastic deformation, and surface treatments. They can also be induced by external forces such as mechanical loading or environmental factors.

How can residual stresses be reduced or controlled?

Residual stresses can be reduced or controlled through various methods such as heat treatment, shot peening, and stress-relieving techniques. The choice of method depends on the type and severity of the residual stresses, as well as the material and its intended use.