What is the residue at z = 0 for this complex function?

• Thread starter FunkyDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral around the unit circle and finding the residual at zero for a complex function. The denominator of the function is a quadratic in z and the numerator is z^n + 1/z^n. It is suggested to multiply the numerator and denominator by z^n to simplify the problem, but this may result in a complicated set of derivatives. Another option is to use partial fractions to express the inverse quadratic and compute the nth derivative from there.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys,

Im trying to evaluate the integral round the unit circle to in turn evaluate a real integral, but the bit I am stuck on is finding the residual at zero for the complex function.

Whats on the bottom of the function isn't overly important as that's not what's causing the rukus, but rather on the top i have z^n + 1/z^n (technically i can move the problem bit to the bottom i know) and the denominator of the function is a quadratic in z. I can solve for the residual at the point that the denominator is zero, but how do i get the residual for z = 0 where the 1/z^n blows up? I've tried multiplying by this and differentiating that but it doesn't seem to work =(

Hope that made sense :S
Cheers
-G

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't you do what you suggested and multiply the numerator and denominator by z^n? The pole at zero is going to be a nth order pole, not a simple pole.

Yeah i know but i found if i do that i get a hideous set of derivatives to (this was an exam question to do in a few minutes) so i figured i was doing something wrong. I'll give it another go though, cheers.

FunkyDwarf said:
Yeah i know but i found if i do that i get a hideous set of derivatives to (this was an exam question to do in a few minutes) so i figured i was doing something wrong. I'll give it another go though, cheers.

I'm going to guess you have something like (z^n+1/z^n)/((z-a)(z-b)). To get the residue around z=0 you can throw out the z^n part. That leaves you with 1/(z^n(z-a)(z-b)). Computing the nth derivative of the inverse quadratic looks complicated. But it's not that bad if you express it using partial fractions.

1. What are residuals of a function?

Residuals of a function are the differences between the observed values and the predicted values of the function. In other words, they are the vertical distances between the data points and the regression line.

2. Why are residuals important in statistical analysis?

Residuals are important because they allow us to assess the accuracy of a regression model. By examining the distribution of residuals, we can determine if the model is a good fit for the data and identify any patterns or outliers that may affect the results.

3. How do you calculate residuals?

To calculate residuals, you subtract the predicted value of the function from the actual observed value. This can be done for each data point in the dataset, resulting in a residual value for each point.

4. What do positive and negative residuals indicate?

A positive residual indicates that the observed value is greater than the predicted value, while a negative residual indicates that the observed value is less than the predicted value. This can provide insight into the overall trend of the data and any potential biases in the model.

5. Can residuals be negative or positive infinity?

In theory, residuals can be negative or positive infinity, but in practice, this is rare and usually indicates a problem with the model. In most cases, residuals should fall within a range of reasonable values and should not be infinite.