1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residue at a pole of non-integer order

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know a straightforward way to calculate a residue at at a pole of non-integer order. I'm trying to find the residue of [tex] \frac {e^{ipx}}{(p - i \kappa)^\eta} [/tex] at [tex] p = i \kappa [/tex] where [tex] \eta [/tex] is a positive non-integer. Thanks.

I have reason to suspect it's zero, but I'd need to see the proof.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How are you defining poles and residues for non-meromorphic functions?
  4. Nov 14, 2005 #3
    I'm not sure what non-meromorphic functions are.
  5. Nov 14, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A meromorphic function is simply a function that is almost analytic in its domain. In detail, it is analytic except at a discrete set of points, and at these points it cannot have an essential singularity. Meromorphic functions are what you usually meet in the theory of residues partly because these functions are "nice" almost everywhere so many of the theorems concerning analytic functions apply. The trouble with your function is that it isn't analytic because it has a non integer power. Non integer powers are defined using the logarithm and therefore necessarily have multiple branches and require a branch cut. In this case, the cut has to start at [tex] p = i \kappa [/tex] so you have to integrate through the branch cut no matter how you define it.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  6. Nov 14, 2005 #5
    Monkey, you're everywhere. Thanks again, it makes good sense.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?