Residue at a pole of non-integer order

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a residue at a pole of non-integer order, specifically for the function \frac {e^{ipx}}{(p - i \kappa)^\eta} at p = i \kappa where \eta is a positive non-integer. The possibility of the residue being zero is mentioned, along with questions about the definition of poles and residues for non-meromorphic functions. The concept of meromorphic functions and their relation to residues is explained, and it is noted that the function in question is not analytic due to its non-integer power. The presence of a branch cut is also mentioned.
emob2p
Hi,
Does anyone know a straightforward way to calculate a residue at at a pole of non-integer order. I'm trying to find the residue of [tex] \frac {e^{ipx}}{(p - i \kappa)^\eta} [/tex] at [tex] p = i \kappa [/tex] where [tex] \eta [/tex] is a positive non-integer. Thanks.

I have reason to suspect it's zero, but I'd need to see the proof.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How are you defining poles and residues for non-meromorphic functions?

I'm not sure what non-meromorphic functions are.

A meromorphic function is simply a function that is almost analytic in its domain. In detail, it is analytic except at a discrete set of points, and at these points it cannot have an essential singularity. Meromorphic functions are what you usually meet in the theory of residues partly because these functions are "nice" almost everywhere so many of the theorems concerning analytic functions apply. The trouble with your function is that it isn't analytic because it has a non integer power. Non integer powers are defined using the logarithm and therefore necessarily have multiple branches and require a branch cut. In this case, the cut has to start at [tex] p = i \kappa [/tex] so you have to integrate through the branch cut no matter how you define it.

Last edited:
Monkey, you're everywhere. Thanks again, it makes good sense.

1. What is "residue at a pole of non-integer order"?

"Residue at a pole of non-integer order" refers to a mathematical concept in complex analysis, where a pole (a singularity or point where a function becomes infinite) of a function has a non-integer order. This means that the function's Laurent series expansion involves fractional powers of the variable at the pole.

2. What is the significance of a residue at a pole of non-integer order?

A residue at a pole of non-integer order has important implications in understanding the behavior of complex functions, particularly in the study of complex integration and contour integration. It also plays a crucial role in the study of meromorphic functions, which have poles and zeros in the complex plane.

3. How is the residue at a pole of non-integer order calculated?

To calculate the residue at a pole of non-integer order, one can use the Cauchy residue theorem or the Laurent series expansion of the function. The residue is equal to the coefficient of the term with the negative fractional power in the Laurent series.

4. Can a function have multiple residues at a pole of non-integer order?

Yes, a function can have multiple residues at a pole of non-integer order. This occurs when the Laurent series expansion of the function contains multiple terms with negative fractional powers at the pole. Each of these terms will have a corresponding residue.

5. What are some real-world applications of the concept of residue at a pole of non-integer order?

The concept of residue at a pole of non-integer order has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and control systems. It also has applications in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and filters.