Resistance equivalent to a circuit

In summary, the circuit shown has a current source of 1A and all the resistances are 1 Ohm. The voltages at V1 and V2 are the same because they are connected by a wire, and the same is true for V3 and V4. Since the circuit is excited with a current source of 1A, the resistance from A to B (ground) is equal to the voltages at V1 and V2. This means that the total resistance from A to B is equal to the voltage at V1 and V2. Any resistors that have been shorted out can be replaced by wires, leaving only 3 resistors in parallel in the middle of the diagram. These resistors are
oswald2323
Hi,

Suppose I have the following circuit (excuse the ugly drawing):
fm6m14.png

Suppose the generator is 1A and all the resistance are 1 Ohm (the values are not important). Moreover, suppose I already have all the voltages in V1, V2, V3, V4 (which I got using nodal analysis), and V0 is set to ground (V0 = 0).

How do I get the total resistance from point A to point B (or node V0)? Can I use the results I got from nodal analysis for this?

Please note my knowledge of electrical circuits is very basic, as this is not my field. I am using this to build an artificial Hex player, and resistance provides a good connectivity measure from each side of the board (see page 2 in http://home.earthlink.net/~vanshel/VAnshelevich-01.pdf).

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltages of V1 and V2 must be the same since they are connected by a wire.

The voltages of V3 and V4 must be zero since they are connected together by a wire which is also connected to ground.

For this circuit, since you are exciting it with a current source of 1 amp, then the resistance from A to B (ground) is equal to the voltages at V1 and V2, which are the same.

Any resistors you have shorted out can be replaced by wires.

That only leaves 3 resistors in parallel in the middle of the diagram.

They are all 1 ohm, so ... what is the total resistance?

The Electrician said:
The voltages of V1 and V2 must be the same since they are connected by a wire.

The voltages of V3 and V4 must be zero since they are connected together by a wire which is also connected to ground.

For this circuit, since you are exciting it with a current source of 1 amp, then the resistance from A to B (ground) is equal to the voltages at V1 and V2, which are the same.

Are you saying that the resistance from A to B is R = V1/I = V1 Ohm = V2 Ohm?

Also, why is the voltage the same in V1 and V2, if current can flow from A to V1 and V2? Shouldn't V1 and V2 have a lower potential than A?

@vk6kro: I wanted to avoid that kind of analysis, since this circuit is not "fixed". Its just the simplest case of a much larger circuit that may look different (resistances with value=+infinite or 0), and I want a way to solve this that is easy to code into a program that does it (an algorithm, so to speak).

Thanks!

oswald2323 said:
Are you saying that the resistance from A to B is R = V1/I = V1 Ohm = V2 Ohm?

Exactly.

oswald2323 said:
Also, why is the voltage the same in V1 and V2, if current can flow from A to V1 and V2? Shouldn't V1 and V2 have a lower potential than A?Thanks!

The voltage is the same at V1 and V2 because they are connected together by a wire.

In schematics such as you have shown, a simple line represents a wire, which is assumed to have zero resistance.

Real wires don't have zero resistance. They have some finite, non-zero resistance, but if you want to treat that in a circuit you would usually insert a resistor symbol of some low value like 500 microhms to represent the wire resistance. In the absence of any such representation of the non-zero resistance of a wire, the wire is treated as though it has zero resistance.

1. What is resistance equivalent to a circuit?

Resistance equivalent to a circuit is the total resistance of a circuit, which is the combined effect of all the individual resistances in the circuit. It represents the amount of opposition that the circuit presents to the flow of electric current.

2. How is resistance equivalent to a circuit calculated?

The resistance equivalent of a circuit is calculated by adding up all the individual resistances in the circuit using the formula: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. Why is resistance equivalent to a circuit important?

Resistance equivalent to a circuit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a circuit and how much current will flow through it. It is also used in designing and troubleshooting circuits to ensure that they function properly.

4. How does the addition of resistors affect the resistance equivalent of a circuit?

When resistors are added in series, the resistance equivalent of the circuit increases because the total resistance is the sum of all the individual resistances. When resistors are added in parallel, the resistance equivalent decreases because the total resistance is calculated using the formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of resistance equivalent?

In a series circuit, the resistance equivalent is the sum of all the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the resistance equivalent is less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because in a series circuit, the current has to flow through each resistor, increasing the total resistance, whereas in a parallel circuit, the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance.