Resistivity/Temperature problem

• Thread starter skiboka33
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the temperature/resistivity relationship formula. The problem gives the values of alpha and rho_0 at 20 degrees Celsius and asks to find the coefficient alpha prime at 0 degrees Celsius. More information is needed to solve the problem and determine alpha prime as a function of alpha. The question from the textbook provides additional context and specifies that the temperature coefficient of resistivity at 20 degrees Celsius must satisfy a certain equation.
skiboka33
I'm stuck on a problem. It involes the temperature/resistivity relationship formula:

[tex]\rho = \rho_0 (1 + \alpha (T - T_0))[/tex]

In the problem I am given the value of [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\rho_0[/tex] and I am told that these values were found at 20 degrees Celcius. I am asked to find the coefficient [tex]\alpha^'[/tex] at 0 degrees.

So that: [tex]\rho = \rho_0^'[/tex][tex](1 + T[/tex][tex]\alpha^'[/tex][tex])[/tex]

Were [tex]\rho_0^'[/tex] is the resistivity at 0 degrees.

Seems like I need more information after equating both equations. I think I should be able to show alpha prime as a fuction soley of alpha (independant of everything else) is this correct? any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I will try to answer this
there must be some other info you are given about the resisitivitiy (pho) at T = 0K?
Could you type out the question as it appears, maybe there is a clue in the wording of hte problem.

Sure,

The temperature coefs of resistivty on Table 27 (in the textbook) were determined at 20 degrees C. What would they be at 0 degrees C. Calculate the coefs for silver, copper and gold (all in table, resistivity is also in the table for each). Note that the temperature coefficient of resistivity at 20 degrees C satisfies:
[tex]\rho = \rho_0 (1 + \alpha (T - T_0))[/tex] where rho(0) is the resistivity of the material at T(0) = 20 degrees. The temp coef of resistivity, alpha prime at 0 degress must satisfy [the equation in the above post, with T(0) = 0, p(0)' and alpha prime insterted] where p(0)' is the resistivity of the material at 0 degrees C.

That's it, thanks.

What is resistivity/temperature problem?

The resistivity/temperature problem is a phenomenon in which the resistivity of a material changes with temperature. This can be a significant challenge in many scientific and engineering applications, as it can affect the performance and accuracy of devices and systems.

What causes the resistivity/temperature problem?

The resistivity/temperature problem is caused by the thermal vibrations of atoms in a material, which increase with temperature. These vibrations disrupt the flow of electrons, making it more difficult for them to move through the material and increasing its resistance.

How is the resistivity/temperature problem measured?

The resistivity/temperature problem is typically measured by conducting experiments in which the resistivity of a material is measured at different temperatures. This data is then used to calculate the temperature coefficient of resistivity, which indicates how much the resistivity changes with temperature.

What are the effects of the resistivity/temperature problem?

The resistivity/temperature problem can have a significant impact on the performance and accuracy of electronic devices, such as sensors and transistors. It can also affect the efficiency of electrical systems, such as power transmission lines. Additionally, it can make it difficult to accurately measure and control temperature in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

How can the resistivity/temperature problem be mitigated?

The resistivity/temperature problem can be mitigated by using materials with a low temperature coefficient of resistivity, such as copper or gold, in electronic devices and systems. In some cases, temperature compensation techniques can also be used to counteract the effects of the resistivity/temperature problem.