1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistor problems

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    Question 1: A group of n resistors each of resistance R, are connected in series. What is the total resistance?What is the total resistance if the resistors are connected in parallel?

Questions 2: A series-parallel group of resistors each of resistance R, have n equal resistances in series, in each of N row in parallel. What is the total resistance?(express your answer for 1 and 2 in terms of n,N & R);

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2
    I guess u are at the start of your electrical theory and just learnt Ohm's Law.

Ok we will go slow. Start with the n Resistors in series problem.

1> We have a circuit with n resistors each of resistance R connected in series. Lets say we connect a battery of voltage V to this circuit which drives a current I through the circuit.
    2> Can u find the voltage across each resistor?
    3> Once u are done with step 2, lets rip out all the resistance and replace it with a single equivalent resistor (lets call it Req).
    4> Again we have the same setup, a battery of voltage V driving current I through the circuit. What is the voltage across Req?
    5> What is the relationship between the voltages u found in step 2 and the voltage u found in step 4?
    6> Once u are finished with step5, the answer is immediately seen ... if not post your working and we will help u further.

-- AI

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?