Resistors, potential dividers and ohms law

In summary, when a thermistor has 0 resistance it has 0V across, and there is still a current flowing through it.
Taylor_1989
Here is my question: When I look a p.d divider circuit I get slightly confused, because the way I was reading the explanation it says: that when the a thermistors has 0 resistance it has 0V across, so when the resistance increase the voltage increases and the will turn on the base emitter to allow current to flow though a turn on the light for example. So when they say that its 0V do they mean that it has 0V drop across and their is still a current flowing through it as the thermistor is basically acting as a normal part of the circuit?

Say for example I have a 12v supply, and 2 ohm thermistor, and their is 0 resistance on the thermistor, when I apply ohms law and do 12/0 I get a paradox basically the current has disappeared some where. Or is there just 12 Amps flowing through but in that case I would still need a resistance of 1 ohm resistance.

I have left out the other resistor due to simplifying my question to what I don't understand. I do know that any resistor put in a circuit there will be a volt drop across the resistor.

I would appreciate any input available

Physics news on Phys.org
A real thermistor is just a variable resistor as far as the rest of the circuit is concerned. When it gets really hot, the resistance is nearly zero.
Your idea of connecting a thermistor which is (hot enough to be 0 Ohms - not actually achievable, in real life aamof) straight across a 12V supply would not be realistic. It would be a short circuit, allowing an infinite current to flow.
You can't just 'leave out' the other resistor because it is a vital part of the circuit. It doesn't "simplify" the question - it makes it harder in fact.

The current through the two resistors in series is governed by the total resistance. I=V/R

R = the sum of the two resistors and changes as the thermistor changes temperature - so the current will also vary.
But, for one particular value of thermistor resistance, you can work out 1. The current and 2. the voltage across each resistance in turn (the volts will, of course add up to your 12V).
When the thermistor is at 0Ohms, there will be 12V across the other R.

BTW your arithmetic is wonky! 12/0 = INFINITY!

First thank for the input and clearing it up, for me. I think I have wrapped my head a round the idea near. I still can't see how 12/0= infinity, but I will study up on that.

Thanks again.

1. What is a resistor and what is its purpose?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is made of a material with high resistance, which means it opposes the flow of electrons. Resistors are used to control the amount of current in a circuit and to protect other components from damage.

2. How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I). In other words, R = V/I. The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω).

3. What is a potential divider and how does it work?

A potential divider is a circuit that divides the voltage across it between two or more resistors. It is used to create a specific output voltage from a larger input voltage. The ratio of the resistances determines the output voltage, with the output voltage being proportional to the resistance of each resistor.

4. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance?

According to Ohm's law, there is a direct relationship between voltage and current, and an inverse relationship between current and resistance. This means that as voltage increases, current increases, and as resistance increases, current decreases. This relationship is described by the equation V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

5. What are the different types of resistors and when are they used?

There are several types of resistors, including carbon composition, metal film, and wire wound resistors. Each type has different properties and is used in different applications. For example, carbon composition resistors are commonly used in low-power circuits, while metal film resistors are used in high-precision applications. Wire wound resistors are typically used for high-power applications.