Resistors Used in College Electrical Circuits Labs - Any Suggestions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jcoona
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
resistor-sample.JPG

I am taking an intro electrical circuits course which requires that I write extensive lab reports. I just completed a really simple lab about calculating resistance when configured in series and parallel, etc.

In my intro I'm writing a short explanation about resistance, and resistors, and such. For resistors used in a common college lab course, does anyone have an idea what exact "type" of resistor they might be?

I.E http://www.resistorguide.com/materials/ here are a couple examples of what I mean...I figure they might be one of the film types but I am not sure.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you very much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably carbon composition resistors.

EDIT: ... oh, wait ... that shape makes it more likely they are carbon film resistors.
 
Thank you! I thought so also...based on the tan shell, but I didn't know if shell color was the defining characteristic. Thank you!
 
I don't think you can rely on the body colour to mean anything although metal film seem to be mostly blue and carbon film are mostly tan/beige.

One or two web sites claim...

blue body = fusible resistor
white body = non-flammable

Would be nice to find confirmation of that.

On very old resistors the body colour was part of the value marking scheme...

Body colour = 1st digit
End colour = 2nd digit
Dot colour = Multiplier