Resolution limit of delay line interferometer

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a delay line interferometer to measure the linewidth of a laser source. The system is self-homodyne and the output is measured with a spectrum analyzer. The conversation also mentioned the theoretical calculation of the lower limit of the frequency that can be observed with a delay line interferometer. Some sources and data points were provided, and the theory was found to be in good agreement with the data points. The conversation also questioned the inverse relationship between the delay line length and the resolution limit and asked for confirmation or input. One source stated the resolution limit as the free spectral range, which aligns with the theoretical calculation.
stevenjones3.1
Hello All

I am using a very basic delay line interferometer to measure the linewidth of a laser source. Basically there is a 1550nm laser that emits light which is split, and one half of the light travels down a 700m delay line before being recombined and the interference is observed.

This is a self-homodyne system, and the output is measured with a spectrum analyzer to determine the line width of the laser.

There should be a lower limit to the frequency which can be observed with a delay line interferometer which can be calculated or approximated theoretically but I am having trouble figuring out how.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just in case anybody is looking at this...

I found one source that says the system resolution will be = (c/nL)/2. Where c is the speed of light n is the refractive index and L is the length of the delay line.

I have found sources stating their delay line length and resolution limit:
72km -> 1.4kHz
11 km -> 18.2kHz
330km -> 606kHz

This equation predicts
72km -> 1.427kHz
11km -> 9.343kHz
330km -> 623kHz

so the theory is in good agreement with two of the data points and is off by a factor of two on the third data point (which I can hand-waveingly justify)

Also this theory makes some intuitive sense, i.e. there would have to be an inverse relationship between between the delay line length and the resolution limit because no delay line would be an infinite resolution limit (i.e. no resolution at all).

Can anyone confirm this or have any input?

stevenjones3.1 said:

I found one source that says the system resolution will be = (c/nL)/2. Where c is the speed of light n is the refractive index and L is the length of the delay line.

I have found sources stating their delay line length and resolution limit:
72km -> 1.4kHz
11 km -> 18.2kHz
330km -> 606kHz

This equation predicts
72km -> 1.427kHz
11km -> 9.343kHz
330km -> 623kHz

so the theory is in good agreement with two of the data points and is off by a factor of two on the third data point (which I can hand-waveingly justify)

Also this theory makes some intuitive sense, i.e. there would have to be an inverse relationship between between the delay line length and the resolution limit because no delay line would be an infinite resolution limit (i.e. no resolution at all).

Maybe the refraction coefficient n of the line you have meassured is not constant for its whole length and due to that, there is a difference between measured and calculated resolution limit.

Last edited:
I have no measured resolution limit, I am trying to calculate it to give some credibility to my measurement

stevenjones3.1 said:

<snip>

Your equation is nearly identical to the definition of temporal coherence: Δω= c/nΔL, where ΔL is the path difference and Δω is the frequency spread (in Hz). That extra factor of 2 could arise from, for example, quoting the bandwidth as ω +/- Δω/2.

I have found a source that states this as the free spectral range (FSR = c/(2nL)) which kind of makes sense that it would be the resolution limit

What is the resolution limit of a delay line interferometer?

The resolution limit of a delay line interferometer is the smallest distance between two objects that the instrument can distinguish. It is determined by the wavelength of the light used and the precision of the delay line.

How is the resolution limit of a delay line interferometer calculated?

The resolution limit is calculated using the formula Δx = λ/2N, where Δx is the resolution limit, λ is the wavelength of the light, and N is the number of divisions on the delay line.

Can the resolution limit of a delay line interferometer be improved?

Yes, the resolution limit can be improved by using a shorter wavelength of light and increasing the precision of the delay line. However, there is a physical limit to how much the resolution can be improved.

What factors can affect the resolution limit of a delay line interferometer?

The resolution limit can be affected by the quality and stability of the light source, the precision and calibration of the delay line, and external factors such as vibrations and thermal fluctuations.

What are some applications of delay line interferometers?

Delay line interferometers are commonly used in precision metrology, such as in the measurement of distances and angles in manufacturing and engineering. They are also used in research and development for high-precision measurements and in optical communications for signal processing and demodulation.