Response delay in Capacitive Humidity Sensors

In summary: If the separation is large (d >> A), then the humid air will equilibrate very quickly with the surrounding air and no delay will be observed.The separation between the plates of a capacitor is typically in the range of 10-100 microns. The ratio of plate area A to d is typically in the range of 10^-5 to 10^-10.
apj_anshul
Hello,

A project I am working on currently requires me to test how capacitors in our circuit react to change in Humidity. As expected, the experimental results suggest that capacitance goes up with increasing humidity, as the electric permitivitty of air surrounding capacitor increases.

However, I also see a curious thing - there is a delay of a few minutes before capacitor responds to change in Humidity. I am conducting these experiments in a closed humidity chamber. I can tell the delay comes from the capacitor because even when chamber's relative humidity display stabilizes to a constant RH value, the capacitor still takes some sizable amount of time before it settles down. This delay is also observed in commercial humidity sensors that use capacitors.

One would expect the capacitance to change immediately, as permittivity of air changed as soon as humidity changed. What causes this delay then?

P.S. Btw, my capacitors are simple two plate capacitors, with no dielectric between them except air. So, any change in capacitance can be safely assumed to come only from changing properties of air.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you actually measuring that enables you to say that the capacitance is changing?

I am using AD7150 board to measure capacitance (analog[dot]com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD7150.pdf). As far as I know, the board applies a excitation voltage to the capacitor and reads the charge to determine capacitance. I then scan the hex values returned by the board and convert them into capacitance. The manufacturer rates the board's response time at 10ms.

I would suspect that the 10ms response time is that related to a fast change in capacitance such as when a finger comes close to disrupt the capacitance field of the sensor and not to slow changes in environment brought about by temperature or humidity.

Perhaps the board up is incorrectly to detect these slow changes or perhaps slow changes are impossible to detect with this board through its own environmental adaptive internal circuitry and algorithms, which is needed so that the envionment does not falsely trigger the sensor and board in a real life application such as a touch screen or keyboard.

You could try another arrangemnet of capacitor such as a flat spiral or similar so that the humidity acts on all of the capacitor and does not have to work its way into the space between two flat plates ( which should be pF but you do not say specs of your capacitor ) as one way to test if that affects your readings.

Just shooting somewhat blindly here to give you some ideas to think about if yo have not already.

What is the separation d, and ratio of plate area A to d? If d is small, and A/d very large, then it can take considerable time for humid air to diffuse into the gap and equilibrate.

1. What is response delay in capacitive humidity sensors?

Response delay in capacitive humidity sensors refers to the time it takes for the sensor to accurately measure and display changes in humidity levels. It is a measure of the sensor's ability to quickly and accurately respond to changes in the surrounding environment.

2. How does response delay impact the performance of capacitive humidity sensors?

The response delay of a capacitive humidity sensor directly affects its performance. A longer response delay means the sensor will take longer to accurately measure and display changes in humidity levels, making it less effective in applications where quick and precise readings are necessary.

3. What factors can contribute to response delay in capacitive humidity sensors?

There are several factors that can contribute to response delay in capacitive humidity sensors. These include the design and construction of the sensor, the materials used, the environmental conditions, and any external factors that may affect the sensor's performance, such as electronic interference or physical damage.

4. How can response delay be minimized in capacitive humidity sensors?

To minimize response delay in capacitive humidity sensors, it is important to choose a high-quality sensor with a fast response time. Additionally, proper calibration and maintenance of the sensor can also help improve its response time. It is also important to use the sensor in suitable environmental conditions and protect it from any external factors that may affect its performance.

5. Are there any trade-offs in reducing response delay in capacitive humidity sensors?

While reducing response delay is important for improving the performance of capacitive humidity sensors, there may be some trade-offs. For example, a faster response time may require more power, which can impact the overall lifespan of the sensor. Additionally, a faster response time may also make the sensor more sensitive to external factors, making it more prone to errors or damage.