Resting membrane potential and some neurophysio questions?

In summary, the equilibrum potential of K and Na, respectively, is important for maintaining a resting membrane potential of cell. The permeability of a cell for K+ is more important than Na+ for maintaining the resting membrane potential. The latent period is shorter when adrenalin is added to the solution. The cellular locus of most plasticity is in the cell membrane. Mechanical deformations can affect the electrical properties of a membrane.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

These are true,false questions. I'm on holiday so can't get help yet and this is not homework.

1.Increased permeability of the cell membraneto K+ than Na+ is important for maintaining resting membrane potential of cell?

Ok I know this is true but I don't understand this. In a normal cell I know this is how it is, but if there was a cell that was more permeable for Na+ why won't it be able to maintain a resting membrane potential of a different value.

2. Orthodontic conduction of a nerve impulse dies out at first synapse?
I know orthodonic conduction is going from stroma to axon, but I don't understand the question.
Myelinated nerves only carry out othrodromic conduction?
I don't understand why?

3. Latent period obeserved in a simple muscle twitch obtained from a nerve muscle preparation.

*Is mostly due to delay at the neuromuscular junction
I know latent period is the time taken for stimulation to migrate to the recording electrode. So false I think.
*Becomes shorter when the strength of stimulus is increased
Due to all or none principle, which has no emphasis on strength of stimulus. I think this has no effect. So false I think.
*Is shorter if adrenalin is added to the solution
I don't know this. Does neurotransmitter decrease latent period
*Can be varied by altering the point of stimulation along the length of the nerve.
This is true I think. This decreases the distance between stimulating and recording electrodes.
*Increased with repeated and prolonged stimulation of nerve.
This is false due to habituation I think.

4. Nerve condcution velocity
* Is reduced when nerve is compressed
* Is reduced in fibres supplying fatigued muscles.

I don't know the answers for these. First one obviously looks true, but what is the reasoning. Second one I think is false.

Thanks a lot in advance :smile:

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
1- what is the equilibrum potential of K and Na, respectively? What happens to the membrane potential when the permeability for a ion increase?

2- I don't understand the question

3-
*ok
*ok
*more adrenalins means more excitability of the neuromuscular jonction. Does this change the latent period?
*ok
*that false, but not because of habituation. What is the cellular locus of most plasticity? Does a repeated stimulation affect the all or none principle?

4-ok. Can mechanical deformations affect the electrical properties of a membrane?

1. What is resting membrane potential?

Resting membrane potential is the electrical potential difference between the inside and outside of a neuron while it is at rest. This typically ranges from -40 mV to -80 mV.

2. How is resting membrane potential established?

Resting membrane potential is established by the difference in concentrations of ions inside and outside the neuron, as well as the selective permeability of the cell membrane to these ions. The sodium-potassium pump also plays a role in maintaining resting membrane potential.

3. What factors can affect resting membrane potential?

Several factors can affect resting membrane potential, including changes in ion concentrations, changes in the permeability of the cell membrane, and alterations in the activity of ion channels.

4. How does resting membrane potential contribute to nerve impulses?

Resting membrane potential is essential for the generation of nerve impulses. When a neuron is stimulated, it causes a temporary change in membrane potential, known as an action potential, which travels along the length of the neuron and allows for communication with other neurons or muscles.

5. How is resting membrane potential measured?

Resting membrane potential can be measured using an electrode, which is inserted into the neuron and measures the electrical potential difference between the inside and outside of the cell. This is typically done in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment.