Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero: 1,2,3,4?

In summary,The Attempt at a Solution1) Resultant of these three forces can equal to zero if two of the forces make 120 degrees angle with each other and their resultant is opposite in direction with the third force.
gracy

Homework Statement

Resultant of which of a following may be equal to zero?
1)10 N, 10 N , 10N
2) 10 N, 10 N , 25 N
3) 10 N, 10 N , 35N
4)None of these
More than one option can be correct.

Homework Equations

Addition of vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Resultant of these three forces can equal to zero if two of the forces make 120 degrees angle with each other and their resultant is opposite in direction with the third force.
Answer at the back of textbook says option 1 is correct. I don't know how can we be so sure that other two options are wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If you have a single force, how much force in the opposite direction would be required to balance out (or counter) that single force?

What if the question was this (really, the problem does boil down to this):
Which of the options could be side lengths of a triangle?

How would you figure this out?

Likes gracy, CWatters, cnh1995 and 3 others
Isaac0427 said:
How would you figure this out?
Triangle Inequality Theorem??
Isaac0427 said:
(really, the problem does boil down to this):
I fail to understand how is my problem reduced to side lengths of triangle. Care to explain?

gracy said:
I fail to understand how is my problem reduced to side lengths of triangle. Care to explain?

How might you go about summing a set of force vectors graphically? If the resultant of the sum is to be zero, where must the tip of the "last" vector end up?

Likes gracy, Isaac0427 and cnh1995
gracy said:
Triangle Inequality Theorem??
Ding ding ding:smile:

gneill said:
How might you go about summing a set of force vectors graphically?
I was adding the vectors using parallelogram.

gracy said:
I was adding the vectors using parallelogram.
Try the polygon method.
download.png

Likes gracy
res.PNG

I don't understand how A + B + R will be zero ? shouldn't it be 2R?

gracy said:
View attachment 104715
A+B=R. R is the resultant of A and B.

You have three vectors and their resultant is given to be 0. How would you draw this situation using a polygon?

Likes gracy
gracy said:
View attachment 104715
You want to do A+B-R, which will give you zero if A+B=R.

Isaac0427 said:
You want to do A+B-R,
But we want to add vectors why will there be negative sign??

In the picture below, the top diagram shows the addition of three vectors (V1, V2, and V3) and the resultant vector (the sum of those three vectors). The lengths of the line segments represent the magnitude of the vector. The bottom diagram shows three vectors that, when added, produce a resultant vector of magnitude 0 (zero). (That is why there is no resultant vector R shown - because it is 0 magnitude.) So the question is, if you have three vectors of various magnitudes connected end-to-start (in other words, the end of one connected to the start of the next), and you can point each of those vectors in whatever direction you choose (so long as you keep them connected end-to-start), can there ever be a situation where you would NOT be able to connect the end of the third vector back to the start of the first vector - in other words a situation where it was impossible for 3 vectors to sum to 0?

Vector sum pic crop.jpg

Likes gracy
gracy said:
But we want to add vectors why will there be negative sign??
The answer from @TomHart is great, but in short, A+B-R is the same as A+B+(-R), where the last vector's magnitude is R (and the problem only gives you the magnitude), but it's direction is negative.

If you travel along the vectors connected head to tail, and end up back where you started, then the vector sum is zero.

Thank you so much for unambiguous explanations. If there are vectors a, b and c. Then a+b+c using the polygon law, we will get a quadrilateral with four sides as a, b, c and resultant r. If resultant r is 0, then and then only we will get a triangle after addition. Similarly if four vectors are given & their resultant is zero they will form quadrilateral with four sides otherwise quadrilateral with five sides, fifth side being the resultant. Right?

gracy said:
quadrilateral with five sides,
With five sides, it becomes a pentagon.

Likes David Lewis
Only if all the vectors have the same magnitude can a regular figure (square, pentagon, hexagon,...) result. That's generally not the case. Further, when you go beyond three vectors there's no guarantee that the vector path won't cross itself or have concavities:

upload_2016-8-15_23-36-35.png

So irregular polygons can be formed (as on the right in the figure above) but so can objects that aren't polygons at all.

The case of three vectors that form a closed loop will always result in a triangle.

Likes gracy and cnh1995
Magnitudes do not have to be equal for forming triangle, right?

gracy said:
No. Only the sum of any two sides should be greater than the third.

Likes gracy
gracy said:

Right.

Likes gracy
Maybe I missed it somewhere above, but Gracy, are you convinced why (1) is the correct answer? If not, @cnh1995 made a great point when he said:

cnh1995 said:
No. Only the sum of any two sides should be greater than the third.

Likes gracy
Yes , that's triangle inequality theorem.

Likes TomHart
Yes, that's what I was going to say. Just kidding. Actually, I had to Google search to find out what "triangle inequality theorem" was. :confused:

Related to Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero: 1,2,3,4?

1. What is the definition of "Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero"?

"Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero" refers to a situation in which the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that the forces are balanced and the object will remain in a state of equilibrium.

2. Why is it important to understand the concept of "Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero"?

Understanding the concept of "Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero" is important in analyzing and predicting the motion of objects. It allows scientists to determine whether an object will remain at rest or move in a certain direction, based on the forces acting on it.

3. How can the resultant of forces equal zero?

The resultant of forces can equal zero when there is an equal and opposite force acting on an object. This can occur when two or more forces are applied to an object in opposite directions, canceling each other out.

4. Can the resultant of forces equal zero even if there are multiple forces acting on an object?

Yes, the resultant of forces can still equal zero even if there are multiple forces acting on an object. As long as the forces are balanced, meaning their magnitudes and directions cancel each other out, the resultant will be zero.

5. How does the concept of "Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero" apply in real-life situations?

The concept of "Resultant of Forces Can Equal Zero" is applicable in various real-life situations, such as balancing a see-saw, pushing a shopping cart, or even flying a plane. It helps in understanding the forces at play and how they affect the motion of objects in our daily lives.