Resultant Velocity of sailing boat

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resultant speed of a boat with a speed of 4ms^-1 sailing on a bearing of 120° in a current with a speed of 2ms^-1 flowing south west. The conversation includes an attempt at solving the problem using the cosine rule and a discussion about drawing vectors to represent the problem accurately.
Purity

Homework Statement

A boat is sailing on a bearing of 120° and has a speed of 4ms^-1 relative to water. A current has a speed of 2ms^-1 and flows south west.

Find the resultant speed of the boat

2. The attempt at a solution

I've been stuck on this question for an hour now and can't figure out why I'm not getting the correct answer of 3.98ms^-1

If the current is going SW at 225°, (180°+45°), then i have the triangle vbc where b is 2ms^-1 and c is 4ms^-1 and the angle A=105° (225°-120°). (opposite the resultant velocity side v).

I then tried to use the cosine rule which gave me v=4.913...ms which i assumed should've worked.

can someone help me please, I've hit a brick wall again...

Physics news on Phys.org
Purity said:
If the current is going SW at 225°, (180°+45°), then i have the triangle vbc where b is 2ms^-1 and c is 4ms^-1 and the angle A=105° (225°-120°). (opposite the resultant velocity side v).
Your angle is wrong. Draw the vector representing the current at 225°. Then from its tip, draw the vector representing the boat's velocity with respect to that current. (You want your triangle to represent the vector sum.) What's the angle between those two side of the triangle?

I still don't understand, what I've got drawn is the vertical North axis and line for the boat coming off at 120 degrees and then another line for the current coming off at 225 degrees but they share the same vertex. have i drawn it wrong?

Last edited:
Purity said:
I still don't understand, what I've got drawn is the vertical North axis and line for the boat coming off at 120 degrees and then another line for the current coming off at 225 degrees but they share the same vertex. have i drawn it wrong?
Looks like you've drawn the vectors with a common origin. Now you have to draw them to represent their sum. So starting with the current, draw its vector as you have done. Then draw the vector representing the boat's speed at 120 degrees starting with its tail at the head of current vector. That's the triangle you want.

(This is often called the 'head to tail' method of graphically adding vectors. The tail of the boat vector starts at the head of the current vector.)

Got it, thanks :) I've never heard of a head to tail method before but thank you! the book never mentioned it.

What is the resultant velocity of a sailing boat?

The resultant velocity of a sailing boat is the overall speed and direction of the boat, taking into account the forces acting on it such as wind, currents, and its own propulsion.

How is the resultant velocity of a sailing boat calculated?

The resultant velocity of a sailing boat is calculated by vector addition of its individual velocities. The velocity of the boat relative to the water is added to the velocity of the water relative to the shore, taking into account direction and magnitude.

What factors affect the resultant velocity of a sailing boat?

The resultant velocity of a sailing boat is affected by the wind speed and direction, the current speed and direction, the shape and size of the boat's hull and sails, and the skill of the sailor in navigating the boat through these forces.

How does the angle of the sails affect the resultant velocity of a sailing boat?

The angle of the sails can greatly impact the resultant velocity of a sailing boat. By adjusting the angle, the sailor can harness the power of the wind and propel the boat in different directions, thus affecting the overall velocity of the boat.

Why is understanding the resultant velocity of a sailing boat important?

Understanding the resultant velocity of a sailing boat is important for sailors to navigate effectively and efficiently. It also allows for predicting and optimizing the boat's speed and direction, which is crucial in competitions and races.