What should I include on my resume as an undergrad without research experience?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's search for a job or volunteer position for research experience. It is suggested to include any relevant experience or skills on the resume, as most professors understand that undergrad students typically do not have prior research experience. The speaker also mentions that approaching and talking to professors can often lead to job opportunities, and recommends checking if the university has a program for undergraduate research. The application for the program does not require prior experience and focuses more on basic requirements and GPA.
kraigandrews
Hi,

I am currently going into my sophomore year majoring in physics. I am trying to get a job or volunteer position to gain some research experience and I am trying to make a resume, however, seeing as how I have no prior research experience, I was wondering what I should put on it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just put on any experience or skills you have. Most professors realize that undergrad students don't have any experience in research (if they did ,they likely wouldn't be undergrads), so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Include your program and level and courses taken.

In my experience most jobs at that level are obtained by simply approaching and talking to professors. The CV is often just a formality (although that doesn't mean you shouldn't have it polished).

What Choppy said. How I got mine my sophomore year was through a program my university does called URAP (undergraduate research apprenticeship program). You can check to see if your university has something similar. The application didn't even ask for experience because the program is designed for people who don't have any. Everyone I had applied to had gotten back to me, and even though I wasn't a good fit, one of them called a friend of theirs and now I'm working for them. The only thing they really care about is that you got the basics done and have a fairly good GPA.

Related to What should I include on my resume as an undergrad without research experience?

1. What should be included in a resume for undergrad students?

A resume for undergrad students should include your contact information, education, relevant coursework, work or internship experience, relevant skills, and any extracurricular activities or leadership positions.

2. How long should a resume for undergrad students be?

In most cases, a resume for undergrad students should be one page in length. However, if you have significant relevant experience or accomplishments, it may be acceptable to have a two-page resume.

3. Should I include my GPA on my resume?

If your GPA is above a 3.0, it is recommended to include it on your resume. However, if your GPA is lower or if you have been out of school for a few years, it is not necessary to include it.

4. How can I make my resume stand out to potential employers?

To make your resume stand out, use strong action verbs, quantify your accomplishments, and tailor your resume to the specific job or industry you are applying to. Additionally, make sure your resume is well-organized, visually appealing, and free of errors.

5. Should I include references on my resume?

No, it is not necessary to include references on your resume. Instead, have a separate document prepared with your references that you can provide upon request from the employer.