Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retrieving data from my old hard drive

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am trying to hook up my old hard drive to my newer computer. I've done this before on a different computer with success, but this time it won't work.

My old hard drive is from a Windows 98 computer. It is a Quantum Bigfoot TX. My newer computer is Windows XP.

I unplugged my CD/R cables and inserted them into my old hard drive. It has a data cable with lots of pins, and a power cable with 4 wires.

My computer assigns it a drive letter of E. But when I open My Computer to E it tells me that drive E is not accessable.

If I'm interpreting it right, the online documentation ( http://perso.orange.fr/rayp/HD/QUANT...es/bf_a_tx.htm )for this hard drive shows only two settings for the jumper, either across the DS pins, or removed completely. I've tried both settings.

Here's some pictures to clarify what I'm doing:

[​IMG]
    The one that says master was hooked up to my CDRW/DVD-R drive. The one that says Slave was hooked up to the second (CD only) drive.

[​IMG]
    The pins. In this attempt, I removed the jumper completely.

[​IMG]
    The label from the hard drive. I don't understand what it is saying about the pins. And I'm not sure the link I provided above is the correct one for this hard drive.

During the bootup process, the green light on the old hard drive comes on a few times and it makes its hard drive woodpecker sound, so I know its getting power. It assigns it to drive E, but when I access it it does not make noise, nor does the green light come on. It says:
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

Quick MS Support search: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us

Don't know if that will work or not.

Honestly I don't even know if you can view FAT32 partitions from an XP install on NTFS. Maybe someone else knows.

4. Jun 10, 2006 #3
    Did you try and connect the old HD to the same cable as the new HD but using the slave slot? You will need to make sure you have the jumpers configured as a slave.

(BTW Your link doesnt work)

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4
    Yeh you can XP can read Fat32

6. Jun 10, 2006 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for your help so far.

I just tried your suggestion and used the slave slot on the main HD cable. I removed the jumper completely from the old HD and I still get the same error.

Sorry for the dead link. Here it is:
    http://perso.orange.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/bf_a_tx.htm

Dav's link might contain the answer. I'm going to try that now.

7. Jun 10, 2006 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The computer seems to recognize the drive. When I right-click on drive E, it knows its a Quantum Bigfoot TX8.0AT. It says device Status: This device is working properly.

On Dav's link I get to the point where it says:

c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

But I don't have a Use simple file sharing check box. The closest I have is Display simple folder view in Explorer's Folders list.

Any thoughts?

8. Jun 10, 2006 #7

dav2008

Gold Member

It might be for XP Pro only.

[​IMG]

9. Jun 10, 2006 #8

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess it is XP pro only. I don't have that checkbox :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?