Retrieving data from my old hard drive

In summary, the old hard drive won't connect to the newer computer. The computer recognizes the drive, but when I try to access it, I get an error.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am trying to hook up my old hard drive to my newer computer. I've done this before on a different computer with success, but this time it won't work.

My old hard drive is from a Windows 98 computer. It is a Quantum Bigfoot TX. My newer computer is Windows XP.

I unplugged my CD/R cables and inserted them into my old hard drive. It has a data cable with lots of pins, and a power cable with 4 wires.

My computer assigns it a drive letter of E. But when I open My Computer to E it tells me that drive E is not accessable.

If I'm interpreting it right, the online documentation ( http://perso.orange.fr/rayp/HD/QUANT...es/bf_a_tx.htm )for this hard drive shows only two settings for the jumper, either across the DS pins, or removed completely. I've tried both settings.

Here's some pictures to clarify what I'm doing:

comp3.JPG

The one that says master was hooked up to my CDRW/DVD-R drive. The one that says Slave was hooked up to the second (CD only) drive.

comp1.JPG

The pins. In this attempt, I removed the jumper completely.

comp2.JPG

The label from the hard drive. I don't understand what it is saying about the pins. And I'm not sure the link I provided above is the correct one for this hard drive.

During the bootup process, the green light on the old hard drive comes on a few times and it makes its hard drive woodpecker sound, so I know its getting power. It assigns it to drive E, but when I access it it does not make noise, nor does the green light come on. It says:
comp4.GIF

Computer science news on Phys.org
Quick MS Support search: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us

Don't know if that will work or not.

Honestly I don't even know if you can view FAT32 partitions from an XP install on NTFS. Maybe someone else knows.

Did you try and connect the old HD to the same cable as the new HD but using the slave slot? You will need to make sure you have the jumpers configured as a slave.

(BTW Your link doesn't work)

Honestly I don't even know if you can view FAT32 partitions from an XP install on NTFS. Maybe someone else knows.
Yeh you can XP can read Fat32

Thanks for your help so far.

I just tried your suggestion and used the slave slot on the main HD cable. I removed the jumper completely from the old HD and I still get the same error.

Sorry for the dead link. Here it is:
http://perso.orange.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/bf_a_tx.htm

Dav's link might contain the answer. I'm going to try that now.

The computer seems to recognize the drive. When I right-click on drive E, it knows its a Quantum Bigfoot TX8.0AT. It says device Status: This device is working properly.

On Dav's link I get to the point where it says:

c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

But I don't have a Use simple file sharing check box. The closest I have is Display simple folder view in Explorer's Folders list.

Any thoughts?

It might be for XP Pro only.

http://home.comcast.net/~cubz2008/folderoptions.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it is XP pro only. I don't have that checkbox :(

What is the best way to retrieve data from my old hard drive?

The best way to retrieve data from your old hard drive is to connect it to your computer as a secondary drive and manually transfer the files. Alternatively, you can use data recovery software to scan the drive and recover any lost or deleted files.

Can I transfer data from my old hard drive to a new computer?

Yes, you can transfer data from your old hard drive to a new computer by either connecting the old drive as a secondary drive or by using an external hard drive enclosure. You can then transfer the files to the new computer using the file transfer tool or manually copying them.

What if my old hard drive is damaged or not working?

If your old hard drive is damaged or not working, you may need to seek professional data recovery services. These experts have specialized tools and techniques to retrieve data from damaged drives. However, this can be a costly option and there is no guarantee that all data will be recoverable.

Can I retrieve data from my old hard drive after formatting?

Formatting a hard drive erases all data on the drive, so it is not recommended to retrieve data from a formatted drive. However, if you have not overwritten the drive with new data, you may be able to use data recovery software to retrieve some or all of the lost data.

How can I ensure the security of my data when retrieving it from my old hard drive?

To ensure the security of your data when retrieving it from your old hard drive, you should use a reputable data recovery software or seek professional services. Additionally, you can securely erase the old drive before disposing of it to prevent any potential data breaches.