REU Applications (Specifying who's work you're interested in?)

In summary, the individual is applying for an REU and is currently doing research in QCD with a top quark researcher. They are particularly interested in Lattice QCD and have found two professors at the home university of the REU who also do research in this area. They are unsure if these professors would be open to working on a project with them, but are considering reaching out to the REU director to express their interest. They are also open to other opportunities, but would be especially excited if they were able to work with one of these professors.
Elwin.Martin
I'm applying for an REU this summer and I'm doing research this semester in QCD. My adviser does top quark research and at the home university of the REU applying to, there are two professors who do research in topics I'm particularly interested in, namely Lattice QCD.

Neither of these two professors have acted as mentors for the program in the years of past projects listed, so I'm not sure they're even open to working on something. Is it worth mentioning that I know that these two members of the theory group work on things which I'm very interested in? Or should I just talk about my interest and hope that (if selected) I can get paired with someone in the theory group for research.

I don't have any problems with experimental research, I think I'll end up doing some this summer, but this opportunity seems pretty fantastic if possible. I know I plan on mentioning my interest in a particular subset of experimental physics which a student worked on back in 2007, it happens to be one of my favorite areas of HEP (I have about 4-5 main areas I'm interested in).

Sorry if the above implies I'm only applying to one REU :P I'm applying to several, this is just an opportunity that I would like to take advantage of in particular, if possible.

Advice on what I should do?

***Edit: Would it be unreasonable to email the professor and ask them if they had the capacity to take a student for the summer, at all? I have a feeling that there is a combination of busyness on the part of the professor and lack of applicants who would fit the criteria, so I think it might be a good idea to just ask and see if they would even consider taking a student in the first place?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
@.@ It's been 24 hours, I believe I'm allowed a single bump ><

You could contact the REU director and indicate your interest and find out if one of them might consider mentoring a student. Just make it clear you're open to other opportunities if it isn't possible so you aren't overlooked if it's not possible, but that you'd be extra excited if it is possible. I mentored a student several years ago and wasn't on the original list. We just met up while she was interviewing with someone else and had similar interests and seemed like a good personality fit, so the director asked if I was interested in taking a student because she was interested in working with me. You won't know if you don't ask. Understand the answer might be no, but it also might be yes.

Moonbear said:
You could contact the REU director and indicate your interest and find out if one of them might consider mentoring a student. Just make it clear you're open to other opportunities if it isn't possible so you aren't overlooked if it's not possible, but that you'd be extra excited if it is possible. I mentored a student several years ago and wasn't on the original list. We just met up while she was interviewing with someone else and had similar interests and seemed like a good personality fit, so the director asked if I was interested in taking a student because she was interested in working with me. You won't know if you don't ask. Understand the answer might be no, but it also might be yes.

Thanks, I called and she said that I should mention my interest in my personal statement and she would see if she could match some of the projects and professors mentioned to my interests, if accepted.

I would recommend that you mention your interest in the two professors who do research in Lattice QCD in your application. It is always beneficial to show your enthusiasm and specific interest in a particular research topic or group. However, it is also important to keep in mind that REU programs are highly competitive and the professors may not have the capacity to take on additional students. In this case, it would be wise to mention your interest in the broader field of QCD and your willingness to work on other projects within the theory group.

As for emailing the professor directly, I would advise against it. The REU program typically has a designated process for matching students with mentors and it is best to follow that process. Additionally, the professor may not have the time or resources to take on an additional student, and it could be seen as presumptuous to assume they would be open to it. Instead, focus on highlighting your skills and interests in your application and let the program coordinators handle the mentorship process. Good luck with your applications!

1. What is an REU application?

An REU application stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates application. It is a program that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How do I specify whose work I am interested in on my REU application?

On your REU application, there is usually a section where you can list the faculty members or researchers whose work you are interested in. This could be in the form of a specific department or research topic. You can also mention this in your personal statement or research proposal.

3. Can I only specify one person's work on my REU application?

No, you can list multiple faculty members or researchers whose work you are interested in on your REU application. This can show your diverse interests and flexibility in potential research opportunities.

4. Why is it important to specify whose work I am interested in on my REU application?

Specifying whose work you are interested in on your REU application helps the program organizers match you with a research project and mentor that aligns with your interests and goals. It also shows your enthusiasm and dedication to the program and the specific research area.

5. How can I find out more about the researchers or faculty members I am interested in for my REU application?

You can research the faculty members or researchers you are interested in by looking up their publications, projects, and collaborations. You can also reach out to them directly via email or attend any virtual conferences where they may be presenting their work.