REU or research with professor

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of doing mathematics research with a professor one-on-one over the summer versus participating in a traditional mathematics REU program. The individual asking the question has been given research-level problems by their favorite teacher and is considering asking them to mentor them over the summer. The discussion mentions that working with a professor may lead to more interesting and elegant research, while an REU can serve as a stepping stone towards more advanced research. It is also noted that working with a professor allows for more freedom and the opportunity to build a relationship with a potential letter of recommendation. The conversation also touches on the differences in paper quality between the two options and how the REU program is mainly available for US citizens.
zpconn
Which would you recommend in general?

(1) Doing mathematics research with a professor more or less one-on-one over a summer or
(2) doing a traditional mathematics REU, of which I've already done one.

I ask because my favorite teacher at my school has been giving me some research-level problems to work on over the semester, and it has occurred to me that he may accept a request to mentor me over next summer provided he doesn't leave the country.

I know there are lots of details missing. I'm just hoping to get a general impression of what's thought about this, and it may be an interesting question for others as well for whom the details differ but the general question is the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
zpconn said:
Which would you recommend in general?

(1) Doing mathematics research with a professor more or less one-on-one over a summer or
(2) doing a traditional mathematics REU, of which I've already done one.

I ask because my favorite teacher at my school has been giving me some research-level problems to work on over the semester, and it has occurred to me that he may accept a request to mentor me over next summer provided he doesn't leave the country.

I know there are lots of details missing. I'm just hoping to get a general impression of what's thought about this, and it may be an interesting question for others as well for whom the details differ but the general question is the same.

I'm in the same boat and am leaning toward (2) because...

-In my experience, what you'll work on with your professor one on one will be MUCH more interesting and elegant than anything that most REU's can offer.

-I've always sort of viewed an REU as a stepping stone toward number (2).

-More freedom in (2) and although an REU is a taste of the research experience, working with a professor one on one for any length of time seems much more like what "real" research is like.

-Getting to know a professor in this regard is generally a good thing (LOR's, etc.)

Again, these are just my opinions based off my experience, and I too am interested in hearing what others say.

One thing to keep in mind is that REU's expect a paper by the end of the summer. If not, that's that, whereas with a professor you can continue with a bigger problem over a longer period of time. REU's, by nature, can't really be too difficult or unique because you have to be done by the end of the summer. I'd say if you have a professor willing to let you do research with him, take that chance.

I'd say they are about equivalent for grad school applications and overall experience. Funny, the schools I've attended saw research with a professor as a stepping stone to a REU instead of the other way around, and the REUs I've been in and supervised lead to publications much more often than the individual research projects, which were often less directed and the students put much less time into it.

eri said:
I'd say they are about equivalent for grad school applications and overall experience. Funny, the schools I've attended saw research with a professor as a stepping stone to a REU instead of the other way around, and the REUs I've been in and supervised lead to publications much more often than the individual research projects, which were often less directed and the students put much less time into it.

Interesting. You're talking about math REU's right? What about the quality of these papers? The REU I've done is well known for pumping out a lot of papers. Some of them are quite good but most of them are just alright. My (perhaps incorrect) assumption was that working with a professor all summer one on one would lead to a higher quality paper provided one is capable of producing such a paper in the first place.

REU? Hm, we don't even have that in Belgium, lucky :)

Sorry, no, these were physics/astrophysics. But I doubt there's much of a difference at least in the theory ones (not the observational ones). In physics it's still possible to finish a good, short project.

The REU program is funded by the NSF in the US, so it's a US-only program for US citizens. Other countries have similar programs but don't call it the same thing.

Well if they have it in Belgium, they're hiding it goddarned well :(

You probably have some institutes doing physics research in Belgium, right? Look them up and send them e-mails. It may well be the case that there aren't any "widely-advertised" openings, such as REUs in the US, but that doesn't mean undergrad students can't do research. Perhaps there is even an institute that collaborates heavily with your university and takes on students to do some of the work and to learn. This is all guesswork on my part, but I know that where I lived it was done this way, so it may be the same in Belgium. I think it's a direction you should consider looking in even if this isn't exactly the case.

@Newtime: I think you interchanged (1) and (2) :P

Landau said:
@Newtime: I think you interchanged (1) and (2) :P

Woops. Good catch. At least the meaning wasn't lost.

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research opportunity for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in a specific field of science or engineering. These programs are typically funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and provide students with the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects under the guidance of a faculty mentor.

2. How can I find REU programs to apply for?

There are several ways to find REU programs to apply for. One option is to search the NSF website, which has a database of all current REU programs. You can also check with your university's science or engineering department, as they may have information on REU programs specifically for their students. Additionally, you can reach out to professors or graduate students in your field of interest to see if they know of any REU opportunities.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can have many benefits. It allows you to gain hands-on research experience, which is valuable for graduate school applications and future career opportunities. It also allows you to network with other students and professionals in your field, and can potentially lead to publications or conference presentations.

4. Can I apply for an REU program if I am not a science or engineering major?

While most REU programs are geared towards students in science and engineering fields, there are some programs that accept students from other majors as well. It's important to carefully read the program requirements and eligibility before applying. Some programs may also consider applicants with relevant coursework or experience, even if they are not majoring in a related field.

5. What is the role of a professor in an REU program?

In an REU program, a professor serves as a mentor to the participating students. They provide guidance and support throughout the research project, and may also offer opportunities for networking and professional development. The professor may also have a specific research project or topic that they are leading and the students will work on as part of the program.