Reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving thick lenses, and is using equations to determine the focal length and radius. The equations return a complex number when the X^2-1)*d/(n*f) < -1, so the author cannot use them for this problem. However, two sources offer useful formulas.
taimoortalpur
Dear All,

I need you kind support in a problem, which I am unable to figure out. It is regarding thick lens.

I am determining lens principal planes and radius using shaping factor and focal length. The forward problem I am using is,
Focal length
1/f = (n-1)*[1/r1 - 1/r2 +(n-1)*d/(n*r1*r2)]
Shaping factor
X = (r2 + r1)/(r2 - r1)
Solving these two equations for r1 and r2, I get.
1/r1 = (X+1)/ [f * (n-1)*(1+sqrt(1+(X^2-1)*d/(n*f)))]
1/r2 = (X-1)/ [f * (n-1)*(1+sqrt(1+(X^2-1)*d/(n*f)))]

These equations return complex number when (X^2-1)*d/(n*f) < -1. So I cannot use these equations for this domain and I have no idea how to determine radius and principal planes in such a case. Any body know a solution for this domain or more general equations?

Thanks in anticipation for reading and support.

Science news on Phys.org
taimoortalpur said:
Dear All,

I need you kind support in a problem, which I am unable to figure out. It is regarding thick lens.

I am determining lens principal planes and radius using shaping factor and focal length. The forward problem I am using is,
Focal length
1/f = (n-1)*[1/r1 - 1/r2 +(n-1)*d/(n*r1*r2)]
Shaping factor
X = (r2 + r1)/(r2 - r1)
Solving these two equations for r1 and r2, I get.
1/r1 = (X+1)/ [f * (n-1)*(1+sqrt(1+(X^2-1)*d/(n*f)))]
1/r2 = (X-1)/ [f * (n-1)*(1+sqrt(1+(X^2-1)*d/(n*f)))]

These equations return complex number when (X^2-1)*d/(n*f) < -1. So I cannot use these equations for this domain and I have no idea how to determine radius and principal planes in such a case. Any body know a solution for this domain or more general equations?

Thanks in anticipation for reading and support.

Does these sources help ? :

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/priplan.html
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-04a/sol4.pdf

1. What is the purpose of reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens?

The purpose of reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens is to determine the radius of curvature and position of principal planes of a thick lens based on its known optical power and thickness. This calculation is important in lens design and fabrication, as it helps to ensure the lens meets the desired specifications.

2. How is the reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens performed?

The reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens involves using the lens formula and the thin lens approximation to solve for the radius of curvature and position of principal planes. This can be done using equations and/or graphical methods.

3. What is the difference between the reverse calculation and direct calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens?

The reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens involves determining the lens parameters based on its known optical properties, while the direct calculation involves determining the optical properties based on the known lens parameters. In other words, the reverse calculation starts with the end result and works backwards, while the direct calculation starts with the initial parameters and calculates the end result.

4. Are there any limitations to the reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens?

Yes, there are limitations to the reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens. The thin lens approximation used in this calculation may not be accurate for very thick lenses or for lenses with high optical powers. In addition, the accuracy of the calculation also depends on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made.

5. How is the accuracy of the reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens determined?

The accuracy of the reverse calculation of radius and principal planes of thick lens can be determined by comparing the calculated results with the actual measured values. In addition, the sensitivity of the results to changes in input data can also be used to assess the accuracy of the calculation.