1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reverse engineer a one-wire bus

1. Mar 6, 2006 #1
    I built a computer in my car, mainly for navigation and mp3 purposes. I would like to display song/artist information to the OEM LCD screen.

There is a one wire bus in a wiring harness that carries data (track name, artist name, XM channel) from the XM tuner to the LCD in the dash. I'm assuming it's binary in a 12V+ (on) and 0V (off) sort of configuration.

Here's where I need EE help. What kind of tool can I use to "listen in" to this and record the signal so that I can analyze it? I was thinking an oscilloscope or logic analyzer might be what I need, but I know nothing about either. It would be best to get this data into a computer where I could manipulate it with some code...

Once this is possible, the next huge step would be to figure out the protocol and try to write to this bus :) But I'll save that for later.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here's a pretty good inexpensive logic analyzer pod that we use here at my work for simpler tasks. It would be the easiest way to monitor the signal and get it into a computer for you to analyze.

http://www.tech-tools.com/dv_main.htm

Also check out Dallas Semiconducdtor's 1-wire "Touch" IO standard. It's probably different from the XM standard, but it will give you some ideas of things to look for in 1-wire comm.

4. Mar 7, 2006 #3
    thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?