Reversible Processes: Quasi-Static Adiabatic Expansion from Callen Ch. 4

In summary, the conversation discusses a monatomic ideal gas in a cylinder with adiabatic walls and piston. The external pressure is slowly decreased, resulting in an expansion with a change in energy (dU = -PdV). Using equation 3.34, it is shown that the change in entropy (dS) is equal to zero, indicating an isentropic and reversible expansion. The approach involves using the fact that S is a function of U and V, and using the properties of monatomic ideal gasses to show that dS is cancelled out.
mateomy
I'm working from Callen ch. 4:

Consider a monatomic ideal gas in a cylinder fitted with a piston.The walls of the cylinder and the piston are adiabatic. The system is initially in equilibrium, but the external pressure is slowly decreased. The energy change of the gas in the resultant expansion dV is dU = -PdV . Show, from equation 3.34, that dS = 0, so that the quasi-static adiabatic expansion is isentropic and reversible.

Equation 3.34 is defined as:
[tex]
S = Ns_o + NRln\left[\left(\frac{U}{U_o}\right)^{c} \left(\frac{V}{V_o}\right) \left(\frac{N}{N_o}\right)^{-(c+1)}\right]
[/tex]

I'm completely lost as to what this question is asking me. I see the dS = 0 and I think, 'Well they were just talking about thermodynamic configuration space and for dS to be zero..." and then I try to take derivatives. But, I don't know with respect to what, the volume? I'm not looking for answers (not that anybody should be), I just want some guidance on how to tackle this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the approach should be something like:
S = S(U,V) => dS = dS/dU dU + dS/dV dV
now use what you know about "monatomic ideal gasses"
and the fact dU =-P dV to show the terms in dS cancel.

Likes 1 person
I'll give that a shot. Thank you for the pointer.

What is a reversible process?

A reversible process is a thermodynamic process that can be reversed by exactly reversing the changes that occurred during the process. This means that the system and its surroundings return to their original states after the process is reversed.

What is quasi-static adiabatic expansion?

Quasi-static adiabatic expansion is a reversible process in which a gas expands slowly and without any heat exchange with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant during the expansion.

What is the significance of Callen Ch. 4 in relation to reversible processes?

Callen Ch. 4 is a chapter in the book "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" written by Herbert B. Callen. This chapter specifically discusses reversible processes, including quasi-static adiabatic expansion.

Why is adiabatic expansion considered a reversible process?

Adiabatic expansion is considered a reversible process because it can be reversed by exactly reversing the changes that occurred during the process. This means that the system and its surroundings return to their original states after the process is reversed.

What are some real-life examples of reversible processes?

Some real-life examples of reversible processes include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a piston moving up and down in a cylinder, and the expansion and compression of a gas in a closed container. These processes can be reversed and the system and its surroundings return to their original states.