Revolving around a sphere helically?

• Thread starter ManDay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of an entity revolving around a sphere in a helical rather than equatorial path, without being exerted any force other than the one perpendicular to the surface. It is mentioned that this is not possible mathematically, but it is noted that such orbits could exist around an infinitely-long cylinder of matter, although they would distort near the endpoints.
ManDay
Dumb question maybe, since I'm not a mathematician, but is there something like a specific kind of space in which an entity given a certain initial velocity parallel to the surface of a sphere and constrained to equal distance to the surface of it will revolve arround the square helically (not equatorially), without being exerted any force other than the one running perpendicular to the surface?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ManDay said:
Dumb question maybe, since I'm not a mathematician, but is there something like a specific kind of space in which an entity given a certain initial velocity parallel to the surface of a sphere and constrained to equal distance to the surface of it will revolve arround the square helically (not equatorially), without being exerted any force other than the one running perpendicular to the surface?

Hi ManDay! :smile:

(btw, "helically" means like a spring … did you mean like a sort-of sine function?)

If the only force is radial, then good ol' Newton's second law means that the particle will have no reason to turn, and so will move along a great circle ("an equator").

The radial force may change the speed along that great circle, but can't make it deviate from the great circle. :smile:

Like a spring, yes.

Since this is the physics-forum I assume you can assume that everyone can presume at least a basic knowledge. Know about that "Newton-stuff" :D I'm concerning the mathematical aspects since this is the maths-subsection. I was asking for a sort of special topology or reference-space in this would be possible.

Last edited:
ManDay said:
Like a spring, yes.

Mathematically, you can't have a spring on the surface of a sphere, or "constrained to equal distance to the surface".
I was asking for a sort of special topology or reference-space in this would be possible.

Changing the coordinates won't alter this basic reality. :redface:

If you hand an infinitely-long cylinder of matter as the source of the force, then there would be helical orbits around it.

Consequently, for a finite cylinder, if it is sufficiently long and dense, and you stay near the center (away from the endpoints), then there are orbits which locally look like helices. But since the cylinder is finite, these orbits will distort as they get closer to the endpoints.

1. What is a revolving sphere helically?

A revolving sphere helically is a motion in which an object, such as a sphere, rotates around a central axis while also moving in a helical path. It is often described as a combination of rotational and translational motion.

2. How is a revolving sphere helically different from a simple rotation?

In a simple rotation, the object simply spins around a fixed point or axis. In a revolving sphere helically, the object both rotates and moves along a helical path, creating a more complex motion.

3. What causes a revolving sphere to move helically?

A revolving sphere moves helically due to the combination of two forces: a centripetal force, which keeps the object revolving around a central axis, and a tangential force, which causes the object to move along a helical path.

4. Can a revolving sphere helically move in any direction?

Yes, a revolving sphere helically can move in any direction. The direction and angle of the helical path depend on the initial direction and speed of the object, as well as the forces acting upon it.

5. What are some real-life examples of a revolving sphere helically?

A common example of a revolving sphere helically is a spinning top, which rotates around its axis while also moving in a circular or elliptical path. Other examples include orbiting planets and satellites, and the motion of a thrown football or frisbee.