Rewriting iterated triple integrals

In summary, the conversation focused on rewriting an iterated triple integral in various orders. The original integral was \int_{0}^{1}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-y}f(x,y,z) dz dy dx and the task was to rewrite it in five other orders. The conversation included discussions on the shape of the region and the projections on different axes. The individual steps for rewriting the integral were also discussed, with some potential errors pointed out. The conversation ended with the mention of different results obtained when plugging in the same function for the different integrals, and the need for all iterated integrals to yield the same result for a given function.
blitzme
[SOLVED] Rewriting iterated triple integrals

Homework Statement

Rewrite this integral as an equivalent iterated integral in the five other orders.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-y}f(x,y,z) dz dy dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I have the shape drawn out.
The projection on the XY-axis is the region bounded by half the parabola y=[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] and the line y=1.

So, [tex]0 \leq x \leq y^{2}[/tex], [tex]0 \leq y \leq 1[/tex]

Or [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{x} \leq y \leq 1[/tex]

The projection on the YZ-axis is the triangle bounded by z=0 and the line z=1-y.

So, [tex]0 \leq y \leq 1-z[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1[/tex]

Or [tex]0 \leq y \leq 1[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1-y[/tex]

The projection on the XZ-axis is another triangle, bounded by z=0 and the line z=1-x

So [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1-z[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1-x[/tex]

Or [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1[/tex]

When I use those to make my integrals, I get

1) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{y^{2}}}\int_{0}^{1-x}f(x,y,z) dz dx dy[/tex]

2) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{1-z}f(x,y,z) dy dz dx[/tex]

3) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-z}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1}f(x,y,z) dy dx dz[/tex]

4) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-y}\int_{0}^{1-z}f(x,y,z) dx dz dy[/tex]

5) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-z}\int_{0}^{y^{2}}f(x,y,z) dx dy dz[/tex]

I substituted 1 for f(x,y,z) and evaluated the integrals. Number 5 was the only one that was equal to the original (1/12).

What did I do wrong? I would really appreciate your help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
blitzme said:

Homework Statement

Rewrite this integral as an equivalent iterated integral in the five other orders.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-y}f(x,y,z) dz dy dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I have the shape drawn out.
The projection on the XY-axis is the region bounded by half the parabola y=[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] and the line y=1.

So, [tex]0 \leq x \leq y^{2}[/tex], [tex]0 \leq y \leq 1[/tex]

Or [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{x} \leq y \leq 1[/tex]

The projection on the YZ-axis is the triangle bounded by z=0 and the line z=1-y.

So, [tex]0 \leq y \leq 1-z[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1[/tex]

Or [tex]0 \leq y \leq 1[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1-y[/tex]

The projection on the XZ-axis is another triangle, bounded by z=0 and the line z=1-x

So [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1-z[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1-x[/tex]

Or [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex], [tex]0 \leq z \leq 1[/tex]

When I use those to make my integrals, I get

1) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{y^{2}}}\int_{0}^{1-x}f(x,y,z) dz dx dy[/tex]
Since the first integral is still with respect to z, you can use exactly the same limits of integration on that integral: 0 to 10- y. Of course, switching x and y, you switch [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex] to [itex]x= y^2[/itex]. I assume [itex]\sqrt{y^2}[/itex] was a typo.
[tex]\int_{y=0}^{1}\int_{x=0}^{y^2}\int_{0}^{1-y}f(x,y,z) dz dx dy[/tex]

2) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{1-z}f(x,y,z) dy dz dx[/tex]
Did you notice that the information that [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex] is a boundary has completely disappeared here? Now that can't be right!
You know that z ranges, for fixed y, from 0 up to 1- y. You also know that y can range from 0 up to [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]. That is, z can range, for fixed x, from 0 up to [itex]1-\sqrt{x}[/itex]. Then y can range from 0 up to 1-z.
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-\sqrt{x}}\int_{0}^{1-z}f(x,y,z) dy dz dx[/tex]

3) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-z}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1}f(x,y,z) dy dx dz[/tex]
Just as z did not range from 0 up to 1- x, so x does not range from 0 up to 1- z. x could range from 0 up to [itex]y^2[/itex] and y can range from 0 up to 1-z: x ranges from up to [itex](1- z)^2[/itex].
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{(1-z)^2}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1}f(x,y,z) dy dx dz[/tex]

4) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-y}\int_{0}^{1-z}f(x,y,z) dx dz dy[/tex]
Same point as in 2 and 3: x ranges from 0 up to [itex](1-z)^2[/itex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-y}\int_{0}^{(1-z)^2}f(x,y,z) dx dz dy[/tex]

5) [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-z}\int_{0}^{y^{2}}f(x,y,z) dx dy dz[/tex]

I substituted 1 for f(x,y,z) and evaluated the integrals. Number 5 was the only one that was equal to the original (1/12).

What did I do wrong? I would really appreciate your help, thanks.

First of all, I just want to say thank you, and I appreciate your help.

HallsofIvy said:
Since the first integral is still with respect to z, you can use exactly the same limits of integration on that integral: 0 to 10- y. Of course, switching x and y, you switch [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex] to [itex]x= y^2[/itex]. I assume [itex]\sqrt{y^2}[/itex] was a typo.
[tex]\int_{y=0}^{1}\int_{x=0}^{y^2}\int_{0}^{1-y}f(x,y,z) dz dx dy[/tex]

Yes, [itex]\sqrt{y^2}[/itex] was a typo, and I understand what you did with this one. Also, when I evaluate the integral by plugging in for f(x,y,z) I get the same value as my original answer.

HallsofIvy said:
Did you notice that the information that [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex] is a boundary has completely disappeared here? Now that can't be right!
You know that z ranges, for fixed y, from 0 up to 1- y. You also know that y can range from 0 up to [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]. That is, z can range, for fixed x, from 0 up to [itex]1-\sqrt{x}[/itex]. Then y can range from 0 up to 1-z.

Just as z did not range from 0 up to 1- x, so x does not range from 0 up to 1- z. x could range from 0 up to [itex]y^2[/itex] and y can range from 0 up to 1-z: x ranges from up to [itex](1- z)^2[/itex].

Same point as in 2 and 3: x ranges from 0 up to [itex](1-z)^2[/itex]

However, for these integrals I get a different answer from my original when I plug in the same f(x,y,z). I understand that I need to have the [tex]x=y^{2}[/tex] bound in there in some form, but those integrals don't seem to work out when I check them. That's a valid way of checking the integrals, right? No matter how you write an iterated integral, it should yield the same result for each f(x,y,z).

It wouldn't surprise me if I'm just doing something wrong, but I don't see what.

I think I follow what you did, but are you sure your integrals are right?

Again, thank you for your help!

I've found the correct answer.

should be
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-\sqrt{x}}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1-z}f(x,y,z) dy dz dx[/tex]

should be
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{(1-z)^2}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1-z}f(x,y,z) dy dx dz[/tex]
and
should be
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-y}\int_{0}^{y^2}f(x,y,z) dx dz dy[/tex]

Thanks for helping me out!

FAQ: Rewriting iterated triple integrals

What is the concept of rewriting iterated triple integrals?

The concept of rewriting iterated triple integrals involves changing the order of integration for a triple integral. This is done to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

Why would someone need to rewrite an iterated triple integral?

Iterated triple integrals can be difficult to evaluate in their original form. By rewriting them, the integral can often be simplified and made easier to solve.

What are the steps involved in rewriting an iterated triple integral?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, the order of integration can be changed to a more convenient form. Finally, the integral can be evaluated using the new order of integration.

Can any iterated triple integral be rewritten?

No, not all iterated triple integrals can be rewritten. Some integrals may not have a simplified form or may not be able to be integrated using a different order.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when rewriting iterated triple integrals?

A common mistake is to change the order of integration incorrectly, which can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are correct for each variable.

Back