1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rewriting triple integrals

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rewrite this integral the other five ways
    [tex]\int_{x=0}^{1}\int_{z=0}^{1-x^2}\int_{y= 0}^{1-x} dydzdx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Must be in rectangular coordinates

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.)[tex]\int_{z=0}^{1}\int_{x=0}^{\sqrt{1-z}}\int_{y= 0}^{1-x} dydxdz[/tex]

2.)[tex]\int_{x=0}^{1}\int_{y=0}^{1-x}\int_{z=0}^{1-x^2}dzdydx[/tex]

3.)[tex]\int_{y=0}^{1}\int_{x=0}^{1-y}\int_{z=0}^{1-x^2}dzdxdy[/tex]

4.)[tex]\int_{z=0}^{1}\int_{y=0}^{1-x}\int_{x=0}^{\sqrt{1-z}}dxdydz[/tex]

5.)[tex]\int_{y=0}^{1}\int_{z=0}^{1-x^2}\int_{x= 0}^{1-y}dxdzdy[/tex]

With the last two I see the problem that the variable x will still be in the final answer. How can this problem be fixed. I figured the solution is to write the planes in another form but I don't see how to write the equations y=1/x or z=1-x2 without the variable x.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first step in solving a problem like this is to draw a picture of the 3d figure. Have you done that? You need it to see the proper limits.

The reason x first is tricky is that when you go from x on the back, which is x = 0, to x on the front, the front surface is in two pieces, partially a plane and partially a curved surface. You will need two integrals.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  4. Jul 9, 2010 #3
    Yes I have drawn it. I am having trouble figuring out how to split it up. Could I by chance get a hint on how to split it up? Thank you.

5. Jul 9, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For #4, try sketching on the xy plane the intersection of the solid and a plane of constant z. It may be easier to ignore the constraint on y initially and then add it back in later.

Similarly, for #5, sketch on the xz plane the intersection of the solid and a plane of constant y. Again, it may be easier initially to ignore the constraint on x and then add it back in later.

6. Jul 9, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

this tells that x lies between 0 and 1, for each x, z lies between 0 and [itex]1- x^2[/itex], and for each x and z, y lies between 0 and 1- x.

In the xz-plane, [itex]z= 1- x^2[/itex] is the parabola with vertex at (0, 1) and x-intercepts (1,0) and (-1,0). In the xy-plane, y= 1- x is the line through (0, 1) and (1, 0).

Notice that there is no "z" in that last! That tells us that we can write [itex]\int\int\int dzdydx[/itex] in exactly the same way.

For something like [itex]\int\int\int dxdzdy[/itex], we have to first think, what is the range for y? Looking at y= 1- x, we see that y can range from 0 to 1 as x goes between 0 and 1. The "outer" integral is [itex]\int_0^1 dy[/itex]. Now, the range of z, for each y, is a bit more complicated. Since z goes from 0 up to [itex]1- x^2[/itex] and y from 0 to 1- x, we have x= 1- y and z from 0 to [itex]1- (1-y)^2= 2y- y^2[/itex]. Finally, for all y and z, [itex]z= 1- x^2[/itex] is the same as [itex]x^2= 1- z[/itex] or [itex]x= \pm\sqrt{1- z}[/itex]. x can go from [itex]-\sqrt{1- z}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{1- z}[/itex]:
    [tex]\int_{y=0}^1\int_{z= 0}^{2y- y^2}\int_{z=-\sqrt{1-z}^{\sqrt{1-x}}dxdzdy[/tex]

Now, try the others.

7. Jul 9, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have posted an image to help you see this.

wedge.jpg

This image shows the projection of the intersection of the two surfaces onto the yz plane. The equation of the cylindrical "wall" (shown in red) that projects onto the yz plane is gotten by setting the x values of the intersecting surfaces equal to each other. The black curve in the zy plane is where the wall intersects the plane and gives you the limits on the two zy integrals that have different "front" surfaces.

[Edit]Fixed x and y were reversed.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook