Rewritting sum as hyperbolic sine

In summary, the conversation is about rewriting a series into a fraction of hyperbolic sine and rearranging the terms. The problem is finding the relation between two series and the speaker is seeking advice or hints on how to solve it.
jorgen
Hi all,

I have to rewrite a serie into a fraction of hyperbolic sine but I am lost... My problem looks like this

[tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^{\infty} exp(K*F)*exp(-F*B(n+0.5))[/tex]

which can be rearranged into

[tex] exp(K*F)/(sinh(FB/2) [/tex]

my problem is I cannot relate the serie

[tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^{\infty}exp(-F*B(n+0.5))[/tex]

any hints or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Best
Jorgen

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the 0.5 part out, so you have e^(FK)*e^(-FB/2)*e^(-FBn). You want the sum over n of e^(-FBn). That's the same as (e^(-FB))^n. It's a geometric series.

1. What does "rewriting sum as hyperbolic sine" mean?

Rewriting sum as hyperbolic sine means expressing a mathematical equation or expression involving sums as a single term using the hyperbolic sine function, which is denoted as sinh(x).

2. What is the formula for rewriting sum as hyperbolic sine?

The formula for rewriting sum as hyperbolic sine is sinh(x) = (e^x - e^(-x)) / 2.

3. What are the benefits of rewriting sum as hyperbolic sine?

Rewriting sum as hyperbolic sine can simplify complex equations and expressions, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the use of properties and identities of hyperbolic functions, making calculations more efficient.

4. Can any sum be rewritten as hyperbolic sine?

No, not all sums can be rewritten as hyperbolic sine. It only works for sums that involve exponential terms and can be expressed in terms of e^x.

5. How do I rewrite a sum as hyperbolic sine?

To rewrite a sum as hyperbolic sine, first identify any exponential terms in the sum. Then, use the formula sinh(x) = (e^x - e^(-x)) / 2 to express the sum as a single term using the hyperbolic sine function. Finally, simplify the expression if possible.