RF Engineering Masters Degree | Distance Learning

In summary, the conversation revolved around someone who recently started working for a defense company and is looking for recommendations on distance learning or minimal on-site training courses related to RF engineering. They mentioned having a first class degree in Electronic Systems Engineering and asked for advice on how to structure a Masters program through their company. The conversation also touched on the benefits of tuition reimbursement through companies like Boeing and the importance of finding a mentor for practical experience in addition to academic study.
jr1990
Hello all,
I've recently started working for a big defence company who are willing to send me on a Masters course and it would be most appropriate for me to find a course which focusses on RF/Wireless communications.
I have a first class Honours degree in Electronic Systems Engineering from the University of Portsmouth.
Wondering if anyone would recommend any courses which can be taken via distance learning or have minimal "on-site" training. Doesn't necessarily need to be a masters, I just want to learn as much as I can about everything RF engineering related!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Here in Silicon Valley, it is common for folks like you to do their Masters degree part-time while working full time (tuition and books are paid for by the company). Usually they will do it through Stanford or Berkeley or other larger universities in the area. Some courses can be taken online or via video feeds to the company, but others can require in-person attendance (usually in the evenings, since a number of the students may be working full time).

Also, some courses of study (like RF engineering) will generally require some lab work, which would be in the university's labs.

Have you talked with your manager and HR department about how they like to structure the Masters program for their employees? They probably have a university or two nearby that they work with to set up these programs. You need to get accepted into the Masters program at the university, but usually being sponsored by your company will almost guarantee that you get into the part-time Masters program (at least in my experience).

Last edited:
BTW, I did a Google search on Boeing Employee Tuition Benefits (or similar), and got lots of good hits. You can probably substitute the name of other aerospace and defense companies to get more directed search results for your situation. Here is one of the hits for Boeing:

EDIT/ADD -- After looking into this Ashford University more, it does not look like they offer the degree you want. You should add in search terms like Electrical Engineering Masters or similar to get better hits.

https://www.ashford.edu/tuition-financial-aid/education-partnerships/boeing

Last edited:
It's not really your question, but..
If you are at a large defense company, then there are probably people there who are doing (or know about) what you are interested in. Search them out and talk with them, they know the local situation. Also, there is a limit to how much practical education in RF that you can get by studying. If you can find a good mentor, ask them to let you watch or help in the lab, ask them what they really do, not just what the academic program is. However, let me be clear, to really learn this subject you will probably need the academic study also.

Likes berkeman

1. What is RF engineering?

RF engineering is a specialized field of electrical engineering that focuses on the design and implementation of radio frequency systems and devices. This includes technologies such as wireless communication, radar, satellite communication, and more.

2. What can I do with a masters degree in RF engineering?

A masters degree in RF engineering can open up a variety of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, defense, and more. Graduates can work as RF engineers, design engineers, network engineers, or research and development engineers, among others.

3. Can I earn an RF engineering masters degree through distance learning?

Yes, many universities offer distance learning programs for an RF engineering masters degree. These programs typically include online coursework, virtual labs, and remote access to equipment. However, some programs may require students to attend on-campus sessions for practical training.

4. What are the admission requirements for an RF engineering masters degree program?

The admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, applicants should have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong background in mathematics and physics, and a competitive GRE score. Some programs may also require relevant work experience.

5. How long does it take to complete an RF engineering masters degree?

The duration of an RF engineering masters degree program can vary from 1-2 years depending on the university and the student's enrollment status. Some programs may offer an accelerated track for students with a strong academic background, while others may allow students to complete the program at their own pace.