Rieman Integral: The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary: But the upper limit is the function u(x) and the derivative of that is u'(x). The Leibniz formula says that the derivative with respect to x of the integral from a to u(x) of some function of t is f(u(x))u'(x).In summary, we are given a continuous function f on the interval [a,b] and a differentiable function u on the interval [c,d] such that u(J) is contained in [a,b]. We are asked to show that if G(x) is defined as the integral from a to u(x) of f(t), then G'(x) is equal to (f o u)(x) times u'(x) for all x
kingstrick

Homework Statement

Let I := [a,b] and let f: I→ℝ be continuous on I. Also let J := [c,d] and let u: J→ℝ be differentiable on J and satisfy u(J) contained in I. Show that if G: J→ℝ is defined by

G(x) :=∫u(x)af for x in J, then G'(x) = (f o u)(x)u'(x) for all x in J.

2. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure what theorem to use in this situation. I am thinking that the product and composition of differentiable functions means that G'(x) exists...but I don't believe that will help me in this situation. Any ideas as to how i should start this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Leibniz formula that Dick links to is basically using the chain rule.

If [itex]F(x)=\int_a^{g(x)} f(t)dt[/itex] let u= g(x) so that the integral is
[itex]\int_a^u f(t)dt[/itex] and, by the Fundamental theorem of Calculus,
[tex]\frac{d}{du}\int_a^u f(t)dt= f(u)[/tex]

Now, use the chain rule to find the derivative with respect to x.

I don't understand. Isn't the derivative of G(x) the f in the integral. Or am i supposed to find the derivative of F(X)?

No, the derivative of G(x) is NOT "the f in the integral". If the upper limit were just "x" it would be.

1. What is the Riemann Integral?

The Riemann Integral is a method of calculating the area under a curve on a graph. It is used in calculus to solve problems related to finding the total change or accumulation of a function over a certain interval.

2. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the Riemann Integral can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. How is the Riemann Integral related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Riemann Integral is the method used to calculate the area under a curve, while the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus provides a formula for finding the antiderivative of a function. These two concepts work together to solve problems in calculus.

4. Can the Riemann Integral be used for non-continuous functions?

No, the Riemann Integral is only defined for continuous functions. This means that the function has no breaks or gaps in its graph. If a function is not continuous, a different method, such as the Lebesgue Integral, must be used to calculate the area under the curve.

5. How is the Riemann Integral different from other methods of integration?

The Riemann Integral is a specific type of integration that uses rectangles to approximate the area under a curve. Other methods, such as the Trapezoidal Rule or Simpson's Rule, use different shapes, such as trapezoids or parabolas, to estimate the area. These methods may provide more accurate results, but the Riemann Integral is the basis for all integration techniques.