Riemann Curvature Tensor on 2D Sphere: Surprising Results

In summary, the curvature tensor is invariant under a coordinate transformation that moves the pole to an arbitrary point, which is surprising because it implies that the curvature tensor tends to zero as we approach either pole.
epovo
TL;DR Summary
How is it possible that non-zero components of the curvature tensor depend on theta
I have worked out (and then verified against some sources) that ##R^\theta_{\phi\theta\phi} = sin^2(\theta)##. The rest of the components are either zero or the same as ##R^\theta_{\phi\theta\phi} ## some with the sign flipped.
I was surprised at this, because it implies that the curvature tensor tends to zero as we approach either pole. Being a sphere I thought that the curvature tensor would have the same value everywhere. How can this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to my calculations, ##R^\phi{}_{\theta\phi\theta}=-1##. I'd check your algebra.

epovo said:
Summary:: How is it possible that non-zero components of the curvature tensor depend on theta

Being a sphere I thought that the curvature tensor would have the same value everywhere. How can this be?
Because of the symmetry all of the invariants of the tensor must have the same value everywhere. But the coordinates are not symmetrical, so the components of the tensor in those coordinates may be non-constant.

Likes epovo and Ibix
To add to my last, the coordinate system you are using isn't isotropic so it shouldn't be particularly surprising that the curvature tensor "looks" different at different places on the sphere. A small circular path around the pole has a very different description in these coordinates (constant ##\theta##) than the same path around an arbitrary point. (Edit: beaten to it by Dale, I see.)

You would expect any scalar you can construct from the Riemann tensor (for example ##R^{abcd}R_{abcd}##, or ##R^{ab}R_{ab}##) to be independent of coordinates. Also, if you can find a transform to move the pole to an arbitrary point, then you should be able to use this to transform the Riemann at one point/basis on the sphere to the Riemann at any other point.

Likes epovo and Dale
I see. If I had used unit basis instead of the usual coordinate basis I would not get this dependence on theta. Thanks!

Likes Dale

1. What is the Riemann Curvature Tensor on a 2D Sphere?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor is a mathematical tool used to describe the curvature of a space. On a 2D sphere, it measures the amount of curvature at a specific point on the surface.

2. How is the Riemann Curvature Tensor calculated on a 2D Sphere?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor on a 2D sphere can be calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points on the surface. The formula involves derivatives of the metric tensor and can be quite complex.

3. What are the surprising results of the Riemann Curvature Tensor on a 2D Sphere?

One surprising result is that the Riemann Curvature Tensor is non-zero at every point on the 2D sphere, indicating that there is curvature everywhere on the surface. This is in contrast to a flat plane, where the curvature would be zero.

4. How does the Riemann Curvature Tensor on a 2D Sphere relate to the concept of Gaussian curvature?

Gaussian curvature is a measure of the curvature of a 2D surface at a specific point. The Riemann Curvature Tensor on a 2D sphere can be used to calculate the Gaussian curvature at any point on the surface.

5. What applications does the Riemann Curvature Tensor on a 2D Sphere have in physics or other fields?

The Riemann Curvature Tensor on a 2D sphere is an important tool in general relativity, as it is used to describe the curvature of spacetime. It also has applications in differential geometry and other areas of mathematics.