Riemann sums for discontinuous functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and properties of Riemann sums. The first question is whether the upper and lower Riemann sums for a function defined on an interval are always Riemann sums. The answer is no, as shown by an example of a discontinuous function. However, if the function is also continuous on the interval, then the upper and lower Riemann sums will always be Riemann sums. The conversation then explores the possibility of constructing upper and lower Riemann sums for a discontinuous function, with the conclusion that the function must have a set of discontinuities with measure zero for the Riemann sums to converge. An example of a function where the upper and lower Riemann sums
schniefen
Homework Statement
Can Riemann sums be non-existant for a discontinuous function on a given interval?
Relevant Equations
The definition of Riemann sums (see link below)
The definition of the Riemann sums: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sum

I'm stuck with a problem in my textbook involving upper and lower Riemann sums. The first question in the problem asks whether, given a function ##f## defined on ##[a,b]##, the upper and lower Riemann sums for ##f## "always are Riemann sums"? The follow up question asks; if ##f## not only is defined but also continuous on ##[a,b]##, are then the upper and lower Riemann Sums "always Riemann sums"?

The answer to the first question is no and the second yes. Can it be impossible to construct upper and lower Riemann sums for a discontinuous function on a given interval? What is an example of such a function?

Physics news on Phys.org
The general result is that the Riemann sum exists/converges iff the set of discontinuities has measure zero. You can , e.g., have discontinuities on a standard ( measure zero) Cantor subset of [0,1] and still have the Riemann sum converge.

WWGD said:
The general result is that the Riemann sum exists/converges iff the set of discontinuities has measure zero. You can , e.g., have discontinuities on a standard ( measure zero) Cantor subset of [0,1] and still have the Riemann sum converge.
Okay. What would be an example of a function where the upper/lower Riemann sums do not exist?

The characteristic function on the Rationals, aka Dirichlet function. Try with Upper value 1, Lower value 0, gap cannot be closed.

Likes schniefen
Sorry to bother, but wouldn't it still be perfectly possible to construct upper and lower Riemann sums, on say ##[0,1]## for that function with a given partition of the interval. Or is there something in the definition of Riemann sums that makes this impossible?

schniefen said:
Sorry to bother, but wouldn't it still be perfectly possible to construct upper and lower Riemann sums, on say ##[0,1]## for that function with a given partition of the interval. Or is there something in the definition of Riemann sums that makes this impossible?
The problem for the function that @WWGD gave is that the upper and lower Riemann sums don't converge to the same value, no matter how fine the partition is.

schniefen said:
Ask away, Schniefen, no prob. But in any interval, however small, you will have both Rational and Irrational points, so you will never be able to make the difference between Upper and Lower sums less than 1.

Mark44 said:
The problem for the function that @WWGD gave is that the upper and lower Riemann sums don't converge to the same value, no matter how fine the partition is.
Alright. I guess that was what "always Riemann sums" in the problem was initially asking about too. I understand that they wouldn't converge to the same value and so the function wouldn't be Riemann integrable, but is there something about a sum that characterises it as a strict Riemann sum per se?

schniefen said:
Alright. I guess that was what "always Riemann sums" in the problem was initially asking about too. I understand that they wouldn't converge to the same value and so the function wouldn't be Riemann integrable, but is there something about a sum that characterises it as a strict Riemann sum per se?
The sum containing the Max value of the function over the interval. EDIT: Every subinterval will contain both Rationals and Irrationals, so what are the Max, Min?

Last edited:
schniefen said:
I don't see that there is anything of interest in whether a sum is a "strict Riemann sum" or not. A Riemann sum has the form ##S = \sum_{i = 1}^n f(x_i^*)\Delta x_i##, where ##x_i^*## is just some value in the i-th subinterval, and ##\Delta x_i## is the width of that subinterval. For any details I've omitted, see the wiki article that you cited, or just about any Calculus textbook.

The important point is whether the Riemann sums converge to the same value, independent of the choice of the partition used to define the subintervals or of the choice of the x value within a subinterval. If the limit of the Riemann sums exists, then the function is integrable.

schniefen said:
The first question in the problem asks whether, given a function ##f## defined on ##[a,b]##, the upper and lower Riemann sums for ##f## "always are Riemann sums"? The follow up question asks; if ##f## not only is defined but also continuous on ##[a,b]##, are then the upper and lower Riemann Sums "always Riemann sums"?

I don't think the textbook is asking about the convergence of Riemann sums.

A reasonable interpretation of the problem is:

1) Let ##f## be a function defined everywhere on the interval ##[a,b]##. Is it true that for each partition of ##[a,b]## the upper and lower Riemann sums for ##f## on that partition exist?

2) Let ##f## be a function that is defined and continuous on the interval ##[a,b]##. Is it true that for each partition of ##[a,b]## the upper and lower Riemann sums for ##f## on that partition exist?

The crucial question is whether the function ##f## has max and min values on each cell ##[a_k, b_k]## in the partition. The example of "the indicator function of the rationals" doesn't settle question 1).

Likes schniefen
Stephen Tashi said:
I don't think the textbook is asking about the convergence of Riemann sums.

A reasonable interpretation of the problem is:

1) Let ##f## be a function defined everywhere on the interval ##[a,b]##. Is it true that for each partition of ##[a,b]## the upper and lower Riemann sums for ##f## on that partition exist?

2) Let ##f## be a function that is defined and continuous on the interval ##[a,b]##. Is it true that for each partition of ##[a,b]## the upper and lower Riemann sums for ##f## on that partition exist?

The crucial question is whether the function ##f## has max and min values on each cell ##[a_k, b_k]## in the partition. The example of "the indicator function of the rationals" doesn't settle question 1).
Yeah, this interpretation makes more sense. As @Mark44 said , there is nothing really of interest in looking for the definition of Riemann sums per se. So @Stephen Tashi what would be such a function where min and max values don’t exist for each subinterval?

schniefen said:
what would be such a function where min and max values don’t exist for each subinterval?

Technically, you only need an example where the min or max values don't exist for some interval.

Try the function ##f## defined on ##[0,2]## by
##f(x) = \frac{1}{x - 1}## if ##x \ne 1##
##f(1) = 0##.

Likes schniefen
Stephen Tashi said:
Technically, you only need an example where the min or max values don't exist for some interval.

Try the function ##f## defined on ##[0,2]## by
##f(x) = \frac{1}{x - 1}## if ##x \ne 1##
##f(1) = 0##.
Nice! Thanks!

1. What is a Riemann sum for a discontinuous function?

A Riemann sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and calculating the sum of their areas. For a discontinuous function, the rectangles may not accurately represent the area under the curve due to the presence of gaps or jumps in the function.

2. Can Riemann sums be used for any type of discontinuous function?

Yes, Riemann sums can be used for any type of discontinuous function, including piecewise functions, step functions, and functions with removable or infinite discontinuities. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the type of discontinuity.

3. How do you calculate a Riemann sum for a discontinuous function?

To calculate a Riemann sum for a discontinuous function, you first need to divide the interval into smaller subintervals. Then, for each subinterval, you calculate the area of the rectangle using the height of the function at a specific point within the subinterval. Finally, you add up all the areas of the rectangles to get an approximation of the total area under the curve.

4. What is the difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum for a discontinuous function?

A left Riemann sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval to determine the height of the rectangle, while a right Riemann sum uses the right endpoint. This can lead to different approximations of the area under the curve for discontinuous functions, especially when there are large gaps or jumps in the function.

5. How can you improve the accuracy of Riemann sums for discontinuous functions?

One way to improve the accuracy of Riemann sums for discontinuous functions is to use a larger number of smaller subintervals. This will result in a more precise approximation of the area under the curve. Additionally, using a combination of left and right Riemann sums can also improve accuracy by taking into account both the left and right endpoints of each subinterval.