Rifle Bullet Pendulum (Solved just on 1 aspect)

In summary, the given problem involves a 36 g rifle bullet traveling at 310 m/s and burying itself in a 5.2 kg pendulum hanging on a 2m long string. Using the law of conservation, the maximum vertical displacement of the pendulum is determined to be 0.2318 m. The 2m long string does not affect the maximum vertical displacement, but rather indicates that the block will move upward in an arc with a radius of 2m due to the collision being perfectly inelastic.
KendrickLamar

Homework Statement

A 36 g rifle bullet traveling 310 m/s buries itself in a 5.2 kg pendulum hanging on a 2m long string, which makes the pendulum swing upward in an arc. Determine the maximum verticle displacement of the pendulum (height)(g=9.8m/s^2)

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf
Law of conservation

The Attempt at a Solution

well i solved it out and I am pretty sure I am right, i found the velocity to be 2.131 m/s then plugged it into the law of conservation equation where the masses cancel out and you end up with 1/2(2.131)^2 = gh

h = .2318

but my question is because it says the pendulum hangs on a 2m long string, how does that impact the problem, do i subtract this height from the string? or vice versa? or add it?. I mean i know a pendulum is like a string or rod or w/e with a weight attached but the way its worded is like that there's an extra 2m string or something? does that impact the MAXIMUM vertical displacement at all? I'm just a little confused, thank you if u can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the "height" is the "height". The only thing the "2m long string" tells you is that the block will go upward on an arc of a circle with radius 2m (otherwise the block-bullet combination would just move laterally without ever stopping!). But the height is still given by "conservation of energy" (after the collision- since the bullet is imbedded in the block, that collision is a "perfectly inelastic" collision- energy is NOT conserved).

ah ok thank you sir!

1. How does the rifle bullet pendulum work?

The rifle bullet pendulum works by using the principle of conservation of momentum. When a bullet is fired into a pendulum, the pendulum will gain some of the bullet's momentum and swing to a certain height. By measuring the height of the pendulum swing, the velocity of the bullet can be calculated.

2. What is the purpose of using a rifle bullet pendulum?

The purpose of using a rifle bullet pendulum is to measure the velocity of a bullet. This information can be useful for ballistics testing and firearm performance analysis.

3. How accurate is the rifle bullet pendulum method?

The accuracy of the rifle bullet pendulum method depends on several factors, such as the precision of the measurements taken and the condition of the pendulum itself. However, when used correctly, this method can provide relatively accurate velocity measurements.

4. Can the rifle bullet pendulum be used for all types of bullets?

No, the rifle bullet pendulum is typically only used for measuring the velocity of small, high velocity bullets. It may not be suitable for larger or slower moving bullets.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a rifle bullet pendulum?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when using a rifle bullet pendulum. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring a clear range, and handling firearms safely. It is also important to carefully set up and secure the pendulum to avoid any accidents or injuries.