1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right Hand rule, explain please?

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Right Hand rule, explain please?

I don't have a problem, I just have issues with understanding the right-hand rule, if someone could explain it (with pictures if possible) I would appreciate it, although it might be better in person because I could see the motion.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider the following diagram,

The right-hand rule is defined such that it conforms to the right-hand coordinate system. In the right-handed coordinate system with the usual unit vectors (i, j, k) the cross product between i and j gives, by definition, k,

i X j = k

Which simply means that if one rotates the x-axis counter-clockwise by [itex]\pi/2[/itex] such that it lies collinear with the y-axis, then the result is the z-axis. The right-hand rule is commonly used to determine the direction of a cross product, especially in physics problems.

Consider the cross product describe above (iXj), which basically means rotating the vector i (the x-axis) toward the vector j (y-axis). Now, take your right-hand and keeping your thumb straight (as if giving the 'thumbs up') curl your fingers in the direction which the x-axis is rotating (in this case toward the y-axis). Your thumb should now be pointing straight upwards, in the direction of k (the z-axis).

Now consider the following cross product,

j X i

Using the same method as above try to curl your fingers in the direction of rotation (i.e. from the y-axis to the x-axis), you'll probably find that you'll have to turn your hand upside down. If you have done it correctly, your thumb should be pointing direction downwards (towards the negative z-axis). Hence, you have used the right hand rule to determine the cross product,

j X i = -k

Indeed, it is very difficult to describe the right-hand rule without demonstrating it. However, I hope you've found my post useful.
  4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    It was, very useful, I had never had it explained to me like that, which makes more sense seeing the diagram, thanks!
  5. Mar 30, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad to be of service :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?