Right Hand Rule: Electron Force Direction Explained

In summary, the direction of the resultant force on an electron is in the direction of the magnetic field, Down.
S1CkFiSh
Assume that a uniform magnetic field is directed into this page. If an electron is released with an initial velocity directed from the left edge to the right edge of the page, which of the following describes the direction of the resultant force acting on the electron?

I think it would come out of the page using the right hand rule. but then again it says a negative charge, assuming an electron is opposite. so would it go into the page? if anyone could help it would be appreciated thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
When figuring the direction of the magnetic force of an electron, you use the right hand rule, and then take the opposite of what you found. You have that right, but your answer is not right. Look up again how to use the right hand rule, there are two versions that I know of, so I won't say much about that. All I can say is that the electron will not be moving out or into the plane of the page.

I don't want to give away the answer :)

ok so my palm faces east since it goes left to right, my thumb is pointing down. but down would mean positive, so I am assuming it goes to the top right?

The way I know the right hand rule is to extend your hand in the direction of motion of the particle, curl your four fingers in the direction of the field, and giving a thumbs up gives you the direction of the force.

So you need your knuckles to point East. Then curl your fingers in the direction of the field, and your thumb would give you the direction of the force and just reverse that because it's an electron and not a proton that we are talking about here.

thank you very much!

Related to Right Hand Rule: Electron Force Direction Explained

1. What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a method used to determine the direction of a force acting on a moving charged particle, such as an electron, in a magnetic field.

2. How does the Right Hand Rule work?

The Right Hand Rule works by using the three fingers of your right hand to represent the direction of the magnetic field, the direction of the particle's velocity, and the direction of the force acting on the particle.

3. Why is the Right Hand Rule important in physics?

The Right Hand Rule is important in physics because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field, which is crucial in many areas of science and technology, such as electromagnetism and particle accelerators.

4. Can the Right Hand Rule be applied to different types of particles?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be applied to any charged particle, including protons and ions, as long as the particle has a velocity and is experiencing a magnetic force.

5. Is the Right Hand Rule always accurate?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule is always accurate in determining the direction of the force acting on a charged particle in a magnetic field, as long as the particle is moving in a straight line and the magnetic field is uniform.