Right handed neutrino in SM

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression \overline{N^c_{l'L}}\nu^c_{lR}=\overline{\nu_{lL}}N_{l'R}, which is used to prove the presence of Majorana neutrinos in the Electroweak Standard Model. The individual is seeking help in understanding why taking the conjugate of the expression does not change it, and it is explained that this is due to the fact that Majorana particles are their own antiparticles.
lalo_u
Gold Member
I am reading Mohapatra's book: "Massive Neutrinos in Physics and Astrophysics". At the beginning of chapter 7, it is sought expressions where the right neutrino was considered in the Electroweak Standard Model.
Everything was fine until I found the expression [itex]\overline{N^c_{l'L}}\nu^c_{lR}=\overline{\nu_{lL}}N_{l'R}[/itex].
Where [itex]N_{l'R}[/itex] is the right handed field associated with right handed neutrinos and the subsctipts [itex]l,l'[/itex] indicate the lepton flavors.

Well, I'm trying to prove this, but I get stuck on the following expression:

[itex]\overline{N^c_{l'L}}\nu^c_{lR} =\overline{\left(N_{l'L}\right)^c}\left(\nu_{lR}\right)^c
= \overline{N_{l'R}}\nu_{lL}[/itex]
And I'm assuming that they are Majorana neutrinos.

To complete the test I should justify why the conjugate for the last expression can be taken and remain unchanged, someone could help?

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove the expression \overline{N^c_{l'L}}\nu^c_{lR}=\overline{\nu_{lL}}N_{l'R}, you can use the fact that Majorana particles are their own antiparticles. This means that the conjugate of a Majorana particle is equal to itself. Thus, taking the conjugate of the last expression will not change it: \overline{N_{l'R}}\nu_{lL} = \overline{\left(N_{l'R}\right)^c}\left(\nu_{lL}\right)^c = \overline{\nu_{lL}}N_{l'R}.

1. What is a right handed neutrino in the Standard Model?

A right handed neutrino, also known as a sterile neutrino, is a hypothetical particle predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. It is the partner particle of the left handed neutrino and has no charge and a very small mass. It is called "right handed" because its spin is in the same direction as its momentum.

2. What is the role of a right handed neutrino in the Standard Model?

In the Standard Model, the right handed neutrino does not have any interactions with the other particles, unlike the left handed neutrino which participates in the weak nuclear force. Its main role is to explain the phenomenon of neutrino oscillations, where a neutrino can change from one type to another as it travels through space.

3. Has the existence of a right handed neutrino been confirmed by experiments?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for the existence of a right handed neutrino. However, several experiments, including the Large Hadron Collider, are searching for evidence of its existence. So far, the results have been inconclusive.

4. Could a right handed neutrino be the source of dark matter?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the right handed neutrino could be the source of dark matter. Dark matter is thought to be made up of particles that interact very weakly with other matter, while the right handed neutrino does not interact at all. However, further research is needed to fully understand the nature of dark matter.

5. What is the significance of discovering a right handed neutrino in the Standard Model?

If a right handed neutrino is discovered, it would be a major breakthrough in particle physics and could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It could also help to explain the origin of matter and the imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe. Additionally, it could have implications for the development of new theories beyond the Standard Model.