Proving Injectivity of a Ring Homomorphism over a Field

In summary, for a ring homomorphism f : R->R where R is a field, it can be proven that f(r)=0 for all r in R or f is injective. This can be shown by proving that if f is not injective, then f(1) = 0, and if any non-zero element r satisfies f(r) = 0, then f(e) = 0 for all e in R. Additionally, it can be argued that f(ab^-1 - ba^-1) = 0 and ab^-1 - ba^-1 is non-zero, which implies that the inverse of ab^-1 - ba^-1, denoted as D, exists. Using this, it can be
annoymage

Homework Statement

Let R be a field and f : R->R be a ring homomorphism

prove that f(r)=0, for all r in R, or f is injective

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

or alternative ways i have to prove (Kernel of f)=R or (kernel of f)={0}

i've tried but stuck somewhere, hmm and also seems i can't make any connection with "field" like unit or zero divisor or something like that T_T, help clue pls

Physics news on Phys.org

Suppose for some a,b,c where a and b are distinct in R f(a) =c = f(b). I.e. f is not injective.

With this assumption, can you show that f(1) = 0? (which is equivlent to f(r)=0, for all r in R)

hint: f(ab^-1 - ba^-1) = 0 and ab^-1 - ba^-1 is non zero (you will have to argue this).

Last edited:

annoymage said:
(Kernel of f)=R or (kernel of f)={0}
This is actually way easier than my other idea.

Suppose any non zero element r satisfies f(r) = 0 what would f(r*r^-1) look like.

sorry a bit late, i think i get the point,

check me please,

Suppose it is not injective, so exist x in R\{0} such that f(x)=0,

then f(x)=f(xe)=f(x)f(e)=0, since R is field, inverse of f(x) exist, then imply, f(e)=0

so, for any y in R f(e)=f(yy^-1)=f(y)f(y^-1)=0, then inverse of f(y^-1) exist, so, f(y)=0 for any y in R,

is my argument correct? and also, is it ok if i not state which R belongs to?

and also this hint, "hint: f(ab^-1 - ba^-1) = 0 and ab^-1 - ba^-1 is non zero (you will have to argue this)."

hmmmm, i can show how f(ab^-1 - ba^-1) = 0, and to show f(e)=0

is this correct?

ab^-1 - ba^-1 non zero, so inverse exist, let D be it's inverse, so f(ab^-1 - ba^-1)f(D)=0,

f((ab^-1 - ba^-1)D)=f(e)=0, hmm it's correct right?

Last edited:

1. What is ring homomorphism?

Ring homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of a ring. This means that it maps elements from one ring to another in a way that respects the ring operations of addition and multiplication.

2. What is the difference between a ring homomorphism and a ring isomorphism?

A ring isomorphism is a special case of a ring homomorphism where the function is not only preserving the algebraic structure, but also the elements and their properties. In other words, a ring isomorphism is a bijective ring homomorphism.

3. How do you determine if a function is a ring homomorphism?

To determine if a function is a ring homomorphism, it must satisfy two conditions: (1) f(a + b) = f(a) + f(b) for all elements a and b in the ring, and (2) f(ab) = f(a)f(b) for all elements a and b in the ring. If both conditions are met, then the function is a ring homomorphism.

4. What is the kernel of a ring homomorphism?

The kernel of a ring homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain that are mapped to the identity element in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of elements that are mapped to 0 in the codomain.

5. Can a ring homomorphism be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a ring homomorphism can be both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that the function is not only preserving the algebraic structure, but also the elements, and the codomain is the entire range of the function.